sharpening stones

jimmykx250

Im currently trying to get an old hand plane tuned up but i need to buy some good stones for sharpening, the ones i have are pretty old/beat up. Any recomendations?

I think there are plenty of stones out there that will do the trick to get a blade sharp. Heck, even sandpaper glued to MDF blocks will sharpen an edge.

With a hand plane though, a sharp blade is only 1/3 of the equation. You also need a dead flat sole, and the propper technique in order to make .001" shavings.

Assuming you have those, then I'd highly recomend the Shapton glass stones if you can swing the price. If you're more budget concious, then the Norton waterstones will do the trick too.

Hope this helps

Gregory

I have used the Norton water stones for a couple of years and have no complaints. I bought the kit from Peachtree Woodworking Supply, which seems like a good deal.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/norton_waterstone.htm

I have the Norton Water Stones as well and have been very happy with them. I only have the higher grit set with the flattening stone though. Made a HUGE difference in my chisel work.