Display Case (Krenov Inspired)

Hey guys! After finishing my two shaker apothecaries I am more than ready to move on.

I am personally happy with the direction it will be going and I have most of the lumber chosen for it.

Below I will include the sketchup model. I am mostly using this for proportions and planning. At the same time, I will be kinda winging it. I feel I have had a few months to let it stew and I'm pretty confident that I'm ready.

Anyways. Tonight I started planning the upper case. I'm color coordinated! Orange chalk was to show grain direction for planing, green will be for cross cutting, and blue is the label.

I'm going to build the main upper case first and fit the stand to it later. At this point I will be able to get both sides, top, bottom, and shelf out of the two quilted maple boards. I matched these as best as I could. Unfortunately its what was available. I hope it all works out!

Tomorrow I plan to cut these up and start the milling process. I just replaced my planer blades and I'm ready for this knarly maple!

P.S. I should also note, These were two 12' long boards that I had the dealer cut for me so I could fit it in my car

post-1557-083384200 1287117647_thumb.png

post-1557-005945500 1287117779_thumb.jpg

post-1557-000921400 1287117843_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, Whats up. Well after work today I rushed home to get this maple rough milled.

First let me say I recently sold my crappy old 12" Jet planer that sounded like it was about to blow when I used it. Probably the loudest thing ever! I picked up a 13" Delta planer off craigslist for a real bargain. and WOW! what a difference! Virtually NO tear out.

I did spritz the show side with isopropyl alcohol before each pass. I was taking somewhere in the neighbor hood of 1/128" cut. This Left me with a glass smooth surface. I ran some of the "non" show side with out this spritz and it was a noticable difference in the tear-out factor, just fyi.

Here are a few photos.

post-1557-065391100 1287193056_thumb.jpg

post-1557-073225500 1287193084_thumb.jpg

post-1557-073369900 1287193104_thumb.jpg

It was a successful day! The Patriots won in OT and I made my goal of the case dry fit! Everything went really smooth. Which was a nice change. This will probably me my last update for a week. Its going to be a hectic week at work and a little weekend get away too. Here are some photo updates!

1.) Worked on creating a spring joint. Turned out great! Followed Tommy's instruction.

2.) Created a Krenov-ish dowel jig. Worked like a charm.

3.) Little sneak peak of some of the other wood that will be used. Lace wood for back panel. Some knarly hickory for the door panels and drawer fronts.

4.) Dry Assembled main case!

post-1557-050288400 1287375170_thumb.jpg

post-1557-054654800 1287375295_thumb.jpg

post-1557-051796900 1287375335_thumb.jpg

post-1557-036183500 1287375416_thumb.jpg

Made a little more progress tonight. I was unsure about the process to take to get this shelf to fit and the sliding dovetail cut.

Here is the break down. (See photos below as well)

1. I cut the dados.

2. Re dry fit the case.

3. Snuck up on a tight fit on the table saw for the shelf

4. Added layout lines for my tails

5. Added stop blocks to my miter gauge and reference line for the blade.

6. Made the cuts.

It was actually pretty simple. If I were to do it again, after I made the stopped cuts on the table saw. I should have lowered the blade until just an 1/8" of the blade was coming up to cut the tail shoulders. I later came back to do this but setup would have been there already.

Next I made a ramp block 1:6 (learned from watching Tommy's tool chest series. Then chopped away at the tails.

Tomorrow I will cut the sockets and move on to the drawer dividers and hopefully some door assembly!

post-1557-065386300 1287901433_thumb.jpg

post-1557-069351900 1287901504_thumb.jpg

post-1557-011956900 1287901657_thumb.jpg

post-1557-046549800 1287901711_thumb.jpg

post-1557-043260000 1287901732_thumb.jpg

post-1557-039157700 1287902093_thumb.jpg

I have a question. Since the dovetail is only for show, why didn't you only make it 1/4 to 1/2 " long?

It still has structural integrity. Not "just for show" Doing a full length dovetail is very difficult to fit correctly. (needs to be tapered). Traditionally, this is how it was done, so thats how I did it.

It still has structural integrity. Not "just for show" Doing a full length dovetail is very difficult to fit correctly. (needs to be tapered). Traditionally, this is how it was done, so thats how I did it.

I see. I'm guessing the case back locks in the back of the sides so no dovetail is needed on the back of the shelf. Right?

That's some pretty VG Fir in your secondary wood, Paul. I can't wait to start my bench. It's gonna be from a 100 year old barn that was disassembled in Eastern Oregon about 20 years ago. Old growth and very dense. Beautiful, too.

Well here is the update. I didn't get a ton of time in the shop today. The nap & football ate a good chunk of it.

So this morning I finished cutting the joinery for the doors. Couple notes on design that changed during the building of these doors. The outer stiles stayed the same. The inner stiles were ripped much narrower for visual balance. You will notice the left door inner stile looks wider, that is because it will have a 1/8" rabbit for the overlap. Also the rails changed a bit. I made the lower rail widest and the middle rail the smallest. No exact science for me, roughly 1/4" increments.

I mainly used bridle joints in the construction with one regular mortise connecting the outer stiles to the middle rails. Because there were so many different sizes between the rails and stiles it made it a little trickier to cut everything. There were quite a few setups. Overall, I am very happy with the look of the joinery.

The Panels.

I used my plunge router to make the groves for the panels. (I need to build a router table, which wil probably be very soon) Which worked well, nothing fancy. I jointed and planed the panels to thickness, My planer was yelling at me! icon_e_biggrin.gif . Overall I am happy with the look of the hickory. I had the panels originally book matched but didn't like the look, so I flipped the right panel around.

Currently nothing is glued and I still need to do some fitting and planing before glue up, but it gives you an idea!

post-1557-0-71580700-1288583292_thumb.jp

post-1557-0-99142400-1288583294_thumb.jp

post-1557-0-73023400-1288583298_thumb.jp

post-1557-0-24367700-1288583303_thumb.jp

As the finishing process starts to approach, I figured I would get some suggestions.

I'm very much a novice in the way of woodworking and finishing. I think I'm going the Boiled Linseed Oil and Shellac route. Open to suggestions tho.

Anyways. Given the case construction, I wanted to pre-finish. Any suggestions or resources would be much appreciated!

As the finishing process starts to approach, I figured I would get some suggestions.

I'm very much a novice in the way of woodworking and finishing. I think I'm going the Boiled Linseed Oil and Shellac route. Open to suggestions tho.

Anyways. Given the case construction, I wanted to pre-finish. Any suggestions or resources would be much appreciated!

I would suggest using a natural Danish Oil. It will bring out the figure of the wood, deepen the cherry, but not give too orangey a look, which straight BLO can do. Also, for a new finisher, it is one of the more foolproof finishes that is available: brush or wipe it on, and after 15 minutes, wipe anything that hasn't absorbed off. That's the only trick to it, to make sure there are no wet spots left after wiping. 2 or 3 coats will leave a natural wood feel with some protection. (Certainly enough for a display case.)

Shellac, while a fine finish, does have a learning curve to it, regardless of the method of application.

Looking good.

Hey Paul.

First off, I need to compliment you on such a great piece! You call your self a novice huh? I would argue otherwise! ;)

As far as resources, are you looking for advice on prefinishing? If so, definitely watch Marc's steamer trunk vid he posted and you'll see a good process for prefinishing.

Basically, prefinishing is simply a process of taping your joints and any spots you don't want finish and then applying the finish to all the parts before glue up and assembly. Just like any finishing process, success is found in taking great care and not rushing things.

I can offer some advice as far as finishing insides of cases like that. Use shellac primarily. Any oils or varnishes will really smell and also being as it's the inside, will be trapped in there. Also, shellac will dry faster and allow you to apply multiple coats in a day.

Just my experience. If you have any specific questions along the way, just hollar.

Hey Paul.

First off, I need to compliment you on such a great piece! You call your self a novice huh? I would argue otherwise! ;)

Well. I still think I am novice wink.gif I guess it goes to show what a year or following all you gurus can do! Well and a little luck. The internet is a powerful resource, so thanks for everything! biggrin.gif

On that note, I think your right Adam. My shaker side table still has the smell of tung oil when you open the drawer from the face. I don't mind it tho. tongue.gif

I will have to get better with my shellac application. I don't have a spray setup.

Well the doors are glued up! That was a big relief. I was really stressing out on it. Overall I am happy with the way everything came out. I spent today sharpening the card scrapers and going to town leveling the joints and making everything nice.

Also I planed and rabbeted the center stiles. Next step will be to mortise the knife hinges and and prepare for glue up. Haven't decided if I will be trying to pre-finish or not.

Anyways, here are some photos, Including my workshop partner :)

post-1557-0-17637400-1288767106_thumb.jp

post-1557-0-22772400-1288767117_thumb.jp

post-1557-0-09211700-1288767121_thumb.jp

post-1557-0-58459300-1288767124_thumb.jp

post-1557-0-95269400-1288767133_thumb.jp