Delta 1440 46-715 Lathe

EdgewaterWW

DeepWater thanks for the update. I've already ordered and received the grizzly pulley at this time and plan on using it but will be waiting on your review of the new one you purchased. I was also looking for a picture of the lathe turned off and everything at resting position to help get a good idea on where both the headstock and motor pulley are located while resting. As they are now I don't think they're correct based on how far out of alignment they are. I have the motor shaft polished up pretty good but need to polish the inside of the grizzly pulley to allow it to slide better. Any info is appreciative. I'm unable to get the video to play for some reason none of my programs will play it. Is the fifth picture you posted of the lathe as I described above.

Thanks, 

Jared

• 1 month later...

JaredBrashearsI uploaded some additional photos I took during the installation of my newly arrived 909945 Motor Pulley for Delta 46-715 Lathe.  I hope these help you see what I did.

Surprisingly, the replacement Reeves pulley is also no larger than the Grizzly replacement you ordered.  I really think the belt benefits from the higher sidewalls on the original Delta pulley.  When speed is adjusted to maximum, the belt rides really high on the motor pulley.  The lathe shaft pulley is fine.  I guess we'll see how that works out.  The speed adjustment works fine once the motor shaft is polished with some fine emery paper and well greased.  I live outside Seattle so heavy humidity all winter means I keep an eye on any bare metal for corrosion.

Let me know if you have other questions.

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3080001.jpg

IMG_3080002.jpg

IMG_3080003.jpg

IMG_3080004.jpg

IMG_3080005.jpg

IMG_3080006.jpg

IMG_3080007.jpg

IMG_3080008.jpg

IMG_3080009.jpg

IMG_3080010.jpg

IMG_3080011.jpg

Happy to see this thread is still active. I have a Delta 46-715 type 1 lathe with a cracked spindle pulley.

The shaft is 24mm. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with using the Grizzly part # P0462021 or Jet Part# JWL1442-161 to replace the Delta Part# 5140061-87 ?

Thinks,

Joe

• 5 weeks later...

I was given the same 46-715 lathe- It had a cracked spindle pulley- so I did replace it with the JWL1442-161-  It required just a little bit of emery cloth and small grinding stone on a portable drill to make it slide-  Unfortunately I then accidently cracked the motor pulley and just rcvd the JWL1442-159 pulley and had to order a 16mm drill bit to get it to the right size and  have yet to set it up.  I did just get a smaller drive belt (25") that seems to work quite well though I don;t know the speed accuracy.

The one issue I have found and I'm new at woodturning ..is that the old spring that fit between the spiindle pulleys does not fit the new ones!  I have not been able to find one that does?  A question I have is does it really need one????

Edited by TSherm
Added follow up info

@TSherm, I didn't take the motor pulley apart so I'm not as familiar with that side of the pulley assembly.  The plastic coated spring in your photo looks like something used to prevent grime and waste from dirtying up the motor shaft.  I don't see in the attached Delta Lathe 46-715_TYPE_1 drawing I have for my lathe.  Am I missing something?

Delta Lathe 46-715_TYPE_1.jpg

54 minutes ago, DeepWater said:

@TSherm, I didn't take the motor pulley apart so I'm not as familiar with that side of the pulley assembly.  The plastic coated spring in your photo looks like something used to prevent grime and waste from dirtying up the motor shaft.  I don't see in the attached Delta Lathe 46-715_TYPE_1 drawing I have for my lathe.  Am I missing something?

Delta Lathe 46-715_TYPE_1.jpgIts between the Spindle Pulley, Number #18

Its between the Spindle Pulley, Number #18

No, The issue is that I converted this Delta machine from Delta pulleys to Jet pulleys and this particular bushing is too large for the Jet pulleys- My question is whether the bushing is necessary at all or if anyone has found a suitable (smaller) bushing replacement.  Thx for responding though

Oh, I missed that in your post, sorry about that.  As far as I know, the bushing allows tight, but free movement when the Reeves pulley moves during speed changes.  Part of the issue with these pulleys seems that they basically seize up when they are unable to slide properly on the shaft, which then causes stress to the point of failure.  I've seen other non-Delta solutions, but they have often had to machine parts to get them to fit.  You might be able to get away without the bushing, but I wonder if the pulley would vibrate or wear out of round over time?  Good luck, this issue frustrates a number of folks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a Delta 1440 for over 12years.  My motor shaft reeves pulley broke along the outer rim as shown in some of the photos.  At that time, I was able to get a replacement from Delta.  It is obvious that the zinc casting fatigued and cracked along the thin rim.  I decided to reinforce the rim using JB Weld and have been running without a problem ever since.  Unfortunately the spindle pulley fatigued and cracked at the hub nearest the inboard end.  I was able to repair it also using JB Weld with pins drilled into the hub.  There is not much clearance between the bearing and face of the hub so the pins had to be carefully placed to clear the thrust bearing.   I also added a good size fillet to reinforce the hub on the inside face.  JB Weld is really tough stuff and I've had good luck using it on other repairs.  I am not sure how long it will last, but the lathe runs great.  

Reinforced Motor pulley.jpg

Reinforced pully - hub.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mine exploded last week and after a bit of research I realized there was no chance of replacing the part.

IMG_5263.JPG.c70d8a39d5e066469c4772b8a2ce30d7.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG.88b0e18390db07804af8a1907d16a1da.JPG

Long story short, I removed the pulleys from the motor's shaft and installed this 20$ 4-step pulley.

IMG_5282.JPG.04b16a0b45f4cbc8f73099dc00bcb6a7.JPG

I know it's not a perfect solution since I have to remove the cover each time I want to change speed but it works fine. Low speed to round off the blanks and high speed once it's stable enough. Funny thing is that my lathe now runs quieter and feels more stable.. go figure!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread again!  I just bought a Delta 46-715 on Craigslist with a frozen spindle pulley.  While trying to get it loose I broke the moving pulley.  I have the type 1 with the 24mm spindle.  Has anyone used the Grizzly P0462021 with success?  It's almost half the price of the Jet solution so I'm hoping someone has been able to get this one to work.

• 5 months later...

Here we go again.  I just purchased a brand new Delta 1440 lathe this week that was boxed up in a garage for 8 years.  New!  I put it together and 1 minute into the run the motor pulley broke into pieces.  The spindle pulley was intact but fragile crumbled easily with my finger.  I read that there were issues with these pulleys but I figured that these were relatively well used machines.   Not NEW!   Anyway I have removed both pulleys and am looking for the best fix.   Grizzly? Jet? 4step?  Please comment.  

• 3 months later...

Yes I have a question for anyone out there in regards to the Reeve's drive pulleys for the headstock of the 46-715 lathe our headstock pulley shattered and we thought that's what we were ordering from grizzly bit it turns out that it's the motor pulley does anyone have a place to get the headstock pulley.

I have recently contacted masterpro transmission about their Reeve's variable speed pulleys and am awaiting to hear something from them. Will update as soon as I can to help everyone out if possible

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, temptmewithawoodtime said:

Can someone with this lathe post photos of where the handwheel attaches to the spindle?  I'm trying to determine if my Grizzly version can be adapted so that the same handwheel can be attached.  Part 51 in the diagrams people have posted above.  Thanks!

IMG_6430.JPG.c7bbc2f7af2ddf88e08c65b5e8e10734.JPG

IMG_6431.JPG.133ac70fd074e2890e4557f788e50e21.JPG

IMG_6432.JPG.f2c959d246b0e6097718e5b570d4afb6.JPG

• Like 1