Painting a bathroom vanity. Need a protective top coat

Pbmaster11

Good morning everyone,

I am spraying our oak bathroom vanity white. I have used a primer that will stick to the poly that was on the oak cabinets. I have applied 3 coats of primer. I will be applying the white topcoat today.

My question, I would like a top coat that is going to protect the paint. I have used poly in the past but it yellowed.. Is there anything I can put on top? lacquer? 

GF Exterior 450 waterborne is superb for water resistance. But, like Enduro Var, gives a yellow hue out of the can so might not be what you want. Not sure if GF Poly top coat is as water resistant (probably is similar) but it is colourless and doesn't yellow.

I think more importantly with the original question is that it will be used as a vanity in a bathroom...so there is a sink on top or integrated? With a poly, standing water can cloud the finish and the tests you shared are awesome, but i suspect bathroom products will make their way to the surface and shampoos, liquid soaps and toothpaste left on poly will destroy and break it down quickly. (Experienced....) so now having to sand down to the wood and re-stain, i'm putting my money on spar urethane. Four coats. I contemplated 1/4" tempered glass because i'm not giving up on my solid cherry counter.

By the way the hardest part of having a wooden vanity top in the bathroom is teaching everyone to wipe off anything they drip on it.

Good luck.post-15492-0-13308600-1397732541_thumb.j