Respirators

Mikejpt

I used the 3M disposable in my marble and granite shop. It is comfortable and adjusts easily. And not too expensive. I bought mine through an industrial supply company, 12 at a time. Much cheaper that way. They had a tendency to walk away from the shop. I still have a couple in the wood shop.

Any guidelines on how long to use or how to tell when its time to replace the filter? I remember on organic vapor models there was a time limit, IIRC.

Ya know...this is a good question...what I do know is your mask cartridges should be stored in a sealed plastic bags so the cartridge contents stay fresh. I do remember when I worked in the paint shop, if you could smell what you were spraying through the mask and your mask was fitting properly around your face without leaking any air...that it was time to replace the cartridges. Don't know if that is wrong or right...just saying that is what we did :mellow:

For my woodworking hobby, I replace my cartridges once a year whether they need it or not.

-Ace-

I use a Binks Millennium 3000. I like it. Comfortable and it exhausts through the mouth also. $50 from what I've found but I was fortunate to receive mine from work when I had to do some pretty intense cleaning.

-Al

Al, you work for a great place. I worked (briefly) for a flood damage restoration place, and they charged us for the basic paper masks that are $.69 for a pack of 1000. (In case you haven't figured it out, he was kinda on the frugal side.)

This place dealt with everything from blown water mains, to basic carpet cleaning, to sewage cleanup. and all we got was a lousy paper filter. Good thing I'm not bitter, right?

But it taught me the importance of having a good ventilator that works with beards/goatees and glasses.