fixing defects in wood

Kevmc

I am all set on gluing up my laminates as soon as I glue arrives but when I prepared my stock I have some defects in one of the middle laminates on the side where their is some missing wood and discoloration.  I can deal with the discoloration and the defects may be jointed or cut off when I size the arms to the right width but looking at the piece of wood, I am not totally sure about that. 

Do you guys have any recommendations for filing the gaps on the edge of the arms.  this is in no way structural and there are no gaps between the laminates, just the edge of one of the boards.  Can I mix some sawdust with some epoxy and fill it before jointing that edge flat?

Thanks

Kev

How big is the defect?

If the defect is pretty good sized and If you can't cut it away, I would consider replacing the piece.  Being in the middle, if you can replace the piece with another similarly colored piece, it would be less obvious and allow you to do whatever round overs and sanding that will be needed before finishing the part.

If the defect is small, perhaps gluing in a replacement piece of wood ahead of time would be less noticeable.

These are good ideas. I am first going to mill up a replacement and see how noticeable it is. If that doesn't work I will probably cut out the offending area and glue in a replacement. Since the cutout would only be about 2 inches long and less thank an inch wide and it's in the middle layer of the laminate it should work fine. I can also position the arm so the repair is located towards the back of the arm in the inside. I will also check where the holes for the pins that support the back will be drilled. I might be very luck and most of the defect is right where a hole is drilled.