Saw Stop in real life?

rgdaniel

Hi folks... well we've all seen those tests where a weiner is slowly introduced to a spinning Saw Stop blade, which dramatically comes to a near-instant halt, leaving the weiner largely intact... maybe just a little scratch... and maybe you've recently seen Roy Underhill slowly introducing a chicken leg to the blade (as he plays up the Southern drawl)...

But it occurred to me, in a real-world situation, you would be likely to bring flesh to steel in a more forceful way, as you push a stubborn piece a little harder than you should... or maybe you slip off a dodgy push block and your hand connects with force and speed... I know, doesn't bear thinking about...

So I'm wondering, has anyone tried really pushing some meat at this thing in a more realistic way? Or at least a "worst-case scenario" kind of way? I mean, pushing that rib roast like it's 8/4 maple against a dull blade? Really put your back into it? Or fired a honey-glazed ham at it like a Major League fastball right in the zone?

I think the Saw Stop is an awesome product, but I'd be interested in some real-world-ish kind of observations... more force, more speed... (with the sincere hope that nobody has actually been hurt)

I saw a video long ago on YouTube of a dealer demo where he put the hotdog on 1/4" ply and cranked the blade very high before ramming the ply into the blade. It was far faster than you'd ever push a board. Idea of the blade being so high is to set up the worse-case scenario. The hotdog had the same damage you see elsewhere. When the blade retracts, the motion is an arc backwards so it immediately pulls the blade away from you. Those recoil forces go way faster than your finger.

Can't recall the dealer; I may search for it later.

That's excellent! Kind of re-assuring. Thanks! Good to know...

I saw a video long ago on YouTube of a dealer demo where he put the hotdog on 1/4" ply and cranked the blade very high before ramming the ply into the blade. It was far faster than you'd ever push a board. Idea of the blade being so high is to set up the worse-case scenario. The hotdog had the same damage you see elsewhere. When the blade retracts, the motion is an arc backwards so it immediately pulls the blade away from you. Those recoil forces go way faster than your finger.

Can't recall the dealer; I may search for it later.

Them saw brakes cant be cheap....

Do you remember Carlos Osorio that dude, that sewed the Ryobi manufacturing company, Because His saw didn't have the same kind of flesh detecting technology that Sawstop has. Well I have a saw almost Identical to the one he had. Its a Ryobi But the numbers are a little different. Its almost like its sister saw.

Just a little info there...

I wouldn't mind having a sawstop. There just a little to rich for my blood if you know what I mean.

The cheapest one they have starts out about $2000.00

That's a lot of doe.....

I saw that, that was awesome!! But he did it very gently as I recall... and quite understandable!! Not sure I'd do it at all. Probably sold a few saws as a result of that demo, though...

I saw the owner of saw stop use his finger to test it out.It was on time warp I think.A show of all kinds of things with high speed camera's.He did go a little slower than you normally go,but,it was his finger and it did work.As I remember it was less damage than the hot dog(no blood).

That lawsuit made me nuts... it's like suing because your bicycle doesn't have anti-lock brakes...

... His saw didn't have the same kind of flesh detecting technology that Sawstop has. Well I have a saw almost Identical to the one he had. Its a Ryobi...

That lawsuit made me nuts... it's like suing because your bicycle doesn't have anti-lock brakes...

Thats funny..... :lol:

I wouldnt stick my finger in a saw . I dont care how safe it is, or how many saws it would sell..

Thats just plain stupid if you ask me...I think that saw gives people a false since of security. I mean I like it and all and I wouldnt mind having one. But come on......................

I saw the owner of saw stop use his finger to test it out.It was on time warp I think.A show of all kinds of things with high speed camera's.He did go a little slower than you normally go,but,it was his finger and it did work.As I remember it was less damage than the hot dog(no blood).

Didnt that dude (the owner of Sawstop) Cut one of his fingers off on a saw and in return decided to make Sawstop. You would have thought that he would have learned something from that event.... :blink:

Just to clarify, Carlos Osorio didn't sue to get something out of his stupidity. The insurance company that would have had to pay out his workman's comp filed the lawsuit on his behalf. This is a fairly common practice, as the insurance companies don't want to pay out workman's comp for things that were someone else's fault, and the injured person has nothing to say about the decision to sue or not. So even if Carlos Osorio didn't want to sue, the lawsuit was going to be filed anyway.

There is also a link on the sawstop website that lists all of the "Saves" stories, some including the photos of actual finger damages. THere are saves there from High school shop students that got into a spinning dado set and many more. Last time I looked there were more than 100 stores and photos from 'really' satisfied owners.

I am coveting a SS, but have to sell my unisaw which is not easiy in this economy + I am in central Kansas, which is not a convenient metropolitan area

Latest news on a save

http://humberetc.com/2010/10/06/sawstop-saves-fingers-a-carrier-drive/

What's funny is I hear (even just today, in fact) all kinds of crazy prices for the brakes. From $80 to "couple hundred, I bet". Try $49. But I'd pay a couple hundred, I bet, to not even get a light wound from a saw. Remember: the brake is consumed in a save. Okay, if you send aluminum through with no override or really wet wood without testing it first (using the saw), you might get a false save.

As for the ridiculous argument that a brake on the saw derives complaisant behavior, I'll ask... do you drive wilder now that your car has an air-bag and seat belts? yie-haw! punch it, Cooter...

As for the ridiculous argument that a brake on the saw derives complaisant behavior, I'll ask... do you drive wilder now that your car has an air-bag and seat belts? yie-haw! punch it, Cooter...

That point was brought up by the defense in the Osorio lawsuit -- that one reason the manufacturers didn't license SawStop technology was because they were worried adding safety equipment to a table saw would lead to riskier behavior by the people using it. That line of argument went over like a lead balloon.

That's awesome, I love that video, thanks for posting that... They do shove that hot dog into the blade pretty quickly there at the beginning...

I'd be worried whether I'm conductive enough to trigger it... sometimes I touch the iPod Touch screen and nothing happens... if I'm having a bad-conductivity-day I might still be in trouble... different technology with the iPod maybe...

Also, how good is that blade, if you can replace the blade AND the brake for only $80... I pay more than that just for a decent blade...

Don't mean to sound unappreciative, it's a great product, as I said... just asking, you know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMD3agP5hv0

He does put his finger into the blade.... Crazy bastard.

What's funny is I hear (even just today, in fact) all kinds of crazy prices for the brakes. From $80 to "couple hundred, I bet". Try $49. But I'd pay a couple hundred, I bet, to not even get a light wound from a saw. Remember: the brake is consumed in a save. Okay, if you send aluminum through with no override or really wet wood without testing it first (using the saw), you might get a false save.

................................... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Do you have to swap cart's when you switch blades or could you just leave the dado one in all the time?

Hmm, maybe I got a deal; I bought a spare from my local Woodcraft and it was $49, but that was right after the PCS came out. Sorry 'bout the dated information; looks like others get them for $69 now.

Anyway, the dado brake is much wider and a lot more aluminum to handle a dado stack. Also, it assumes an 8" dado stack so it reaches toward the arbor much more than the standard brake made for a 10" blade. You can keep the dado brake in if you are running a standard non-dado blade that's 8". It won't, however, work with common 7 1/4" blades as there is too much distance and the self-test detects that.

Honestly, switching out the cartridges is very fast: turn the red key and you remove the whole thing.

I have personally (accidentally) put my finger into spinning blade. It was so fast I felt nothing, I just sat there thinking why did the saw stop? Then I looked where my finger was and saw a tiny new scratch. I am a believer.

The details

I was cutting a raised panel, holding the panel against a high fence without a clamp, my hand drifted too low so that my middle finger was in the path of the blade

Actually there was a video done where they slammed the hotdog down on the blade from the top of the blade with the blade all the way up. I think this would be classified as a worse case scenerio. You could tell where the hotdog hit the blade and at most you would need a few stitches. I'll see if I can find it and post it.