Purple Heart bowl

Nathan Forsythe

If all you want to do is protect it and make the color last, providing you don't use it for food, try Armor-All car tire spray. It has UV inhibitors to slow down the purple oxidizing to a dark brown. If you work out a way to be able to put it back on the lathe in the future you can re-sand and bring the color back.

I made a picture frame out of purpleheart about a year ago and sprayed it with lacquer from a rattle can.  I am assuming it is nitro lacquer but the labels are not very clear on those cans.   In any case, it did not change the look much when I sprayed it, just made it a little more vibrant and it has not darkened much, if at all, over the past year.   

Wax finishes will have the least affect on the current color but will do nothing to inhibit color change due to UV exposure. Actually, over the very long run, NOTHING will inhibit that change (other than hiding it in a dark closet).

Anyone planning on investing a lot of time and effort into a project using purpleheart should visit " phinds" hobbithouse wood page !

He has some great info, documentation and good photographs of what will happen to the color.

I made a box out of purpleheart years ago and the mitered corners came out terribly gapped so it has sat on the shelf unfinished and darkened considerably. It's still a dark rich purple but take the enevitable change in consideration when you use purpleheart.

Here's my own favorite purpleheart project. I made this as a gift for a Jewish friend quite a few years ago. I'd love to know what the purpleheart looks like now but he and I lost track of each other so I'll likely never know.

I hope it hasn't darkened as much as the "buttons" on my purpleheart page since unlike weithman5 I don't care for the really dark color.
  • Like 1