Falling for an ugly duckling

Bombarde16

A 1x8 at Lowe's caught my eye yesterday. Crooked, twisted and bowed (though blessedly not cupped) over all its 12' of length. OK, so that's par for the course for the overpriced pallet lumber that such places sell. But what caught my eye was the dark sap inclusions that pepper the surface. Every one of them runs through to the other side. Not one to make any sort of impulse buy, I left it and decided to sleep on it, come back another day and, if it was still there, I'd go for it. And here it is. I'm thinking this'll make a very nice panel (perhaps a serving tray or two) if only I can saw it open and book match it.

Sometimes a piece of wood just tells you what to make. Who are we to argue?

IMG_4263.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: While surfacing things flat, one of the panels revealed a massive sap pocket. Proof positive that this board had no right to escape the burn pile. ;)

PICT0008.JPG

Ugly, crumbly resin and no way to work around it...decorative inlay to the rescue.

PICT0009.JPG

Four more pieces to go, then fitting and finish. Just might have this one done in time for Santa Claus.

Which woods are the inlay?

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Finished the inlay and (I hope) the last of the noisy-dusty stuff today. Some fitting, sanding and finishing (i.e. quiet stuff after hours) and the trays will be done. Inlays are Padauk, Sapele for the leaves, Pangapanga for the stem.

PICT0001.JPG