Getting started

caitie

I'm new-ish to woodworking (I took it in highschool four years ago but I've never done anything outside of that). I'm looking at starting with smaller projects such as cutting boards, boxes, gift-type stuff and then moving to bigger projects (tables, cabinets, etc...) in a year or two. The problem is that I'm starting completely from scratch. I have very minimal tools (basically just a drill and a circular saw) but I am looking to spend $500-600 on tools to get started (that doesn't include the lumber that I've already started to buy and any small things like stains, safety equipment, etc...).

Any suggestions of where to start in terms of buying tools? My first few projects will likely be cutting boards, so I'm thinking that I will definitely need a jig saw, router and palm sander. I take it that a tablesaw is likely pretty important too. Other than that, I'm not too sure what I need... Hand planes? Electric planer? Miter saw? I know that I would eventually like to have a complete workshop (as I'm sure most of use would like!) but I'm having a hard time prioritizing what I will need first.

You ask 10 folks this question, you'll get 11 answers. ;) To me, hands down a table saw is #1 in my shop. For your first saw, troll Craigslist for used equipment. Stay away from old craftsman contractor saws, and such. You'll likely spend your whole budget on a quality saw, but it's worth it. Grizzly is also a good option for budget tools that constantly get good reviews.

I'm going to go out on a ledge and suggest you not get a table saw right now. Sure, it's difficult to cut 1" squares with a circular saw, but it can be done if you take a few extra steps. I'd recommend your next tool be a Random Orbit Sander. Practice with the circular saw on cutting straight lines. (Straight edge would be my next suggestion.) You can make a jig/fence for your circular saw (and router, for that matter) using 1/8" hardboard and a 1x2. Get some foam insulation panels, and cut your stock on them on the floor (or on a raised plywood surface stretched across sawhorses).

For the cutting boards, I'd say go with a longer board to cut the stock from, and cut half the strips off for the cutting board. Glue them up, cut the other half of the strips, glue them up, and repeat the process with the rotated strips. Like I said, extra steps, but it can be done. And on the budget you're talking about.

Plan on spending about $100 for an ROS, and $20 on the foam. (and a lifetime with your new passion. Congrats!)

Now, i'm not saying the table saw is not necessary, or even useful. I just don't think it's essential for every project. A creative individual can find ways around not having all the tools. (I'm not quite creative enough.)

I did my first project with

• a circular saw
  • a router
  • a WorkMate table
  • lots of clamps
  • some straight MDF strips for jigs, guides, etc
  • a shopvac
  • a 1/4" round-over bit
  • a high tooth-count blade for the circular saw (for clean cuts)

Watch some videos on using hand planes before shelling out the money on stationary power tools. You should at least see the alternatives before you buy.

Well I have to chime in regarding the tablesaw, my first was a small Craftsman bench top I bought new for about $125.00 on sale, I didn't want to spend much in case I lost interest in wood working. It did ok for close to two years then I upgraded and sold the Cman for about $125. My point is if you on a budget buy what you can afford to get you started and move up down the road when you have a better idea on the type of projects you will do and what your needs really are. Look for used tools as you can always find people who bought but quickly lost interest.

Hi Caitie...from a fellow Canadian

Wow, this is an interesting topic and as someone has already said, you'll get tons of different answers. I'm not sure what part of Canada you live in so take what I say accordingly.

1. Grizzly makes decent table saws but they have no distribution in Canada. You'll have to purchase online and have it shipped across the border....i.e. more money spent on brokerage, shipping, etc.

2. If you can, join a woodworkers Guild in your city. They are full of people eager to share knowledge with others. Who knows?..you might find someone with a tablesaw they would sell cheap (or give for free?) just to see your passion rewarded.

3. Alternatively, do research, ask questions of other woodworkers about what tools they recommend and why. Some are fans of Ridgid saws, some like Bosch routers, etc. Canada currently has no distribution on featured brands like Powermatic, Grizzly, Jet, etc. We do have Busy Bee Tools, General, and lately...Laguna. Look them up on the internet. Opinions on where is best to purchase will vary widely.

If you are wondering about a tool, note the make and model number. Go to Amazon.com and read the reviews from people who have bought and used the tool. Find out what they like, what they don't. This will all factor into your decision.

Another factor is warranty. Ridgid tools from Home Depot have a lifetime warranty if you register the tool online. That provides many people with a comfort factor.

In this economy many companies are discounting deeply to get your business. Be patient once you've decided on a tool and wait for a great sale price if you're buying new. Case in point, I recently purchase a Dewalt 3-knife planer from Home Depot. With their "meet and beat" pricing policy they beat the competitor's sale price by 10%. Plus, I put it on my Home Depot card so I don't have to pay for it for one year after purchase. Again, I had done my research in advance and when the opportunity came along I was ready to make the move I needed to get it done.

My first table saw was a cast iron top relic that looked like the ugly duckling at a prom dance but it ran straight and true so don't write off getting used equipment that has been treated with respect.

I'm not sure if it's the luxury of time that's speaking here but I'm sure other forum members would agree on this point, don't waste your money (no matter now eager you are to acquire it) on cheap, poorly made tools. We are experiencing a flood of poorly-conceived and badly-made hand and power tools coming into the market. Instead, scour Craigslist ads, look through other sites such as "usedvancouver.com" etc (replace city with your own) and buy reputable tools that will serve you over many years.

One other point. You can save yourself money by visiting millwork and cabinet shops in your area. Be straight with them and tell them you're getting into woodworking and watching your pennies. Ask them if they have any "offcuts" and scrap material you can have for free. Most shops in my area will give you pieces of Baltic birch plywood and other wood. I have one shop nearby that regularly gives me pieces of black walnut, purpleheart, hard maple, and ipe as projects are being done. One shop suggested I come by every week as they are always running different material. The money you save buying material can be used to build your inventory of good tools.

I haven't exhausted all the suggestions but hopefully some of this will be helpful to you.

Regards, Saddlestrum, Victoria, BC

Well, this is going to qualify under the you get a different response from everybody category, but here it goes. My first few projects, a year or two out of high school were made without the aid of a table saw (I know, blasphemy). These were two furniture size tables, one of my "own" design, and another from a plan out of Wood magazine, a mission style end table. These projects were completed with home center oak that was S4S (surfaced four sides), so I didn't have to worry about milling the lumber. Yes, it does cost a decent amount more than buying rough from a mill, but depending on how many projects you plan on doing, it could be reasonable.

Now, getting on to the tools... never buy cheap tools, 99.9% of the products offered at the big box stores are junk, they're great for driving a screw every now and again, but beyond that you're just wasting money that could have been put towards good, quality tools. This is really where you need to do your own research and see what your needs are and then find the best tool in that category that you can afford, it will save many a headache down the road.

As far as the tools I used to complete these initial projects, here it goes:

-Miter saw (and a stable surface to attach it to)

-Router (I would suggest at least 2HP with a fixed and plunge base w/ variable speed, it can also be used to joint wood with a jig, very versatile)

-Random Orbit Sander

-Cordless Drill

-Brad Point Bits

-Clamps I had around (basically anything I could find)

-Circular saw

-Kreg Pocket Hole Jig (makes basic joinery a breeze)

-Router Bits (Figure out which ones you'll need for a project and get them, buy good quality and avoid the sets of 18-20, I have one and regularly use about three of them)

Granted, this is a pretty slim set, and operations are going to take more thought and ingenuity to accomplish than what would be achievable with larger machinery. Space is also going to dictate many of the tools you purchase, if you can't fit all the milling equipment, then that will lead to you finding different ways of doing operations. I agree with other posters in that you shouldn't get too far into the tools until your sure you're going to stick with woodworking, which you obviously will :-) My "shop" now, after three years has all the large machinery and many more tools to boot, but I've bought what I needed to in order to tackle larger projects, and being able to mill rough lumber is an incredible savings, and my jointer and planer have definitely paid for themselves. What you do will ultimately be up to you and the direction you want to move your woodworking in.

On another note, if your going to be making cutting boards, that's a lot of rip cuts, and a table saw excels at that, not to mention most joinery operations (tenons, rabbets, dados). Using a circular saw and a straightedge is one way, but unsafe in my opinion for strips of that width. Imagine trying to rip a one inch board when you only have an inch and a half left, while balancing a straightedge and a circ saw on top. Fingers and thumbs...don't be dumb. A table saw would be the workhorse for many projects and there are a few companies that make the portable versions that come with wheels and fold away, the Bosch model would be an excellent choice, yes it's expensive, but it's very good. I should also mention that both my planer and table saw came used and I've had no issues, don't be afraid of the used tool market, just know what you're looking for.

So, hopefully my ramblings are coherent and you've gleaned some information. My woodworking journey is now taking me on the way to hand tools, there is no better way to tune your projects and really work the wood. Check out some of the hand tools out there, you'll be glad you did. Good luck!

Imagine trying to rip a one inch board when you only have an inch and a half left, while balancing a straightedge and a circ saw on top.

I'd use some cutoffs or even previously cut pieces of the same thickness to make a larger surface to support the circ saw. The thing about working with hand held tools is, you've got to really think about how you are going to make the cuts, and you spend a lot of time setting up jigs, guides, supports, etc. It's a time/money trade-off. It's a lot faster to just run a piece through the table saw than to figure out how to do it safely and accurately with the circular saw.

the Bosch model would be an excellent choice, yes it's expensive, but it's very good.

I got mine refurb, with a warranty, and I was very happy. I wouldn't pay full list price for the Bosch.

So I take it that all I really need is some innovation with whichever tools I do get.

Apparently I might be getting a table saw from my father-in-law. Other than that I'm thinking that I'll be looking for a jig saw, router, some kind of a sander and maybe some other things.

Thanks for the responses!

I'm not going to recommend any tools and instead ask you to plan your next 5-10 projects. I realize this could change but think about what you would build in the next year and then figure out what tools you would consistently use to build them. In other words a drum sander would be great for those cutting boards, but will you need it for all the other projects? The beauty of this is you can do so much with very few tools by building jigs (or working by hand, but I'm biased) so buy what you need for the projects at hand and no more.

• Like 1

Gotta side with RenaissanceWW on this one.

What you think you need vs. what you actually need are usually very different. I've recently downsized my tool collection to mostly handtools and even ditched the table saw, planer, and jointer. It all depends on the type of woodworking you're most interested in pursuing at the time.

What's most important is that you build a collection of tools that become your core. The tools that you will turn to time and time again for every project. Like Shannon said, that comes with knowing what you want to design and build over the course of the next few months to a year.

Hope this helps.