Finishing over Epoxy?

2013dbusko

I'm making a small end table out of ash for a friend of mine. There are quiet a few defects/voids in the wood that sink into the workpiece. I want to fill these in with clear epoxy and brass pigtails from Craft Supllies USA (link at bottom) I want to use General Finishes Oil Based Java Gel Stain as the finish. Has anyone found a successful way to finish over/around epoxy?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/162/5254/Turners-Select-Pigtail-Brass-Metal-Inlay

I was planning on using Loctite clear quick setting epoxy because I like the syringe type applicator. I was also not planning on a top coat because the can for the Gel Stain says that it will be just as good as poly once it dries. Would you recommend a top coat over a gel stain?

Thank you all so much for the feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

epoxy is incredibly neutral to any finish I've encountered. Just make sure you give it a light scuff with 400 to give it some "teeth" to hold a new finish, else anything put over top will simply flake off over time. The stain will obviously not affect the epoxy, so keep that in mind. 

Since you ARE using epoxy to fill the voids, you are much better off using a normal stain, then following up with a top coat of your choosing. I would use a wipe on poly for this instance, as it will soak into the ash's very wide open pores very well and offer better protection than an oil.