Water protection (poly over latex paint?)

Firehawk

I have used water bourne acrylic finishes over latex for similar bathroom woodwork. Using latex enamel ( trim paint) is smart. One important step is to leave a gap under the panel so it will never sit in a puddle of water. Quarter round, or shoe molding will cover the gap. I always finish removable panels on all sides while they are loose before installation. Stainless or brass fasteners are a good idea.

The stuff I use is only sold to Pro finishers but Minwax does make a water based spar urethane . I haven't used it. I would strongly recommend making a test sample board with a few coats of the paint( light sanding between coats) and then a couple of coats of the urethane. Make sure you pay attention to drying times and read all the instructions.

I've been putting Minwax polyacrylic over the furniture and built-ins in my house that have all been painted with latex paint. No yellowing over the white paint, good protection, and a much better feel to the touch. Sorry I can't speak to a humid bathroom environment, through, a couple coats should lock out the moisture.

I just ordered some GF high performance for a similar application.  Making a cherry cabinet / shelf thing to put over the downstairs loo and will have some white v-board as a backer.  Using GF milk paint for the v-boards and planning to use the high performance over top for added protection.  Supposed to be water clear; will let you know how it works (although any yellowing wouldn't happen for a few months <_<).  Cherry is getting finished with arm-r-seal