Scroll saw at Woodcraft

ztifpatrick

Hey I recently became interested double bevel marquetry and so I was looking at an Excaliber scroll saw at woodcraft. They have two 21" models. One with a stand and one without. Their stock numbers are nearly the same, #148838PS and #148838 and the features are exactly the same except one has a stand. The one with the stand is $160 cheaper? Does anyone know this machine and can they understand this? I called Woodcraft and they couldn't give me an answer either. I had questions about scroll saws, but this got me side tracked already! Links below;

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020599/28961/Excalibur-21-in-Scroll-Saw.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020599/23686/Excalibur-Scroll-Saw--21-inch.aspx

Hey I recently became interested double bevel marquetry and so I was looking at an Excaliber scroll saw at woodcraft. They have two 21" models. One with a stand and one without. Their stock numbers are nearly the same, #148838PS and #148838 and the features are exactly the same except one has a stand. The one with the stand is $160 cheaper? Does anyone know this machine and can they understand this? I called Woodcraft and they couldn't give me an answer either. I had questions about scroll saws, but this got me side tracked already! Links below;

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020599/28961/Excalibur-21-in-Scroll-Saw.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020599/23686/Excalibur-Scroll-Saw--21-inch.aspx

The item number looks like a Woodcraft number. I’m sure the “S” of “PS” means "stand", but I’m not sure what the “P” stands for. I went to Seyco's website (cited in the ScrollSaw magazine review) and they have a regular price for the EX-21 with a stand of $989.90. Next to that price in parenthesis they have a Special price of $739.99. That matches what Woodcraft has on their website. The regular price (on Seyco's website) for the EX-21 without a stand is $889.00 and again, next to that price, they have in parenthesis a Special price of $685.00.

I would say if Woodcraft has recently sold an EX-21 without a stand for $889.00, then they should refund the difference to those customers.

As far as reviews go, “ScrollSaw” magazine (Fall 2010 / Issue 40) rated 23 different scroll saws and in the $601-$1,250 price range, the EX-21 was selected as the editors choice. I see the EX-21 is one of the reviews on the link that iSawitFirst supplied.

The item number looks like a Woodcraft number. I’m sure the “S” of “PS” means "stand", but I’m not sure what the “P” stands for. I went to Seyco's website (cited in the ScrollSaw magazine review) and they have a regular price for the EX-21 with a stand of $989.90. Next to that price in parenthesis they have a Special price of $739.99. That matches what Woodcraft has on their website. The regular price (on Seyco's website) for the EX-21 without a stand is $889.00 and again, next to that price, they have in parenthesis a Special price of $685.00.

I would say if Woodcraft has recently sold an EX-21 without a stand for $889.00, then they should refund the difference to those customers.

As far as reviews go, “ScrollSaw” magazine (Fall 2010 / Issue 40) rated 23 different scroll saws and in the $601-$1,250 price range, the EX-21 was selected as the editors choice. I see the EX-21 is one of the reviews on the link that iSawitFirst supplied.

Yep, I saw that too at seyco.com. Woodcraft customer service emailed me back and said it's the same saw and 148838PS is a special promotion good through Nov. 24th! I think I'll take the plunge.

Right. ScrollSaw magazine picked the Delta 40-690 as the Editor’s Choice in the $201-$600 price range. However, they were careful to point out that the DeWalt 788 is essentially the same scroll saw as the Delta 40-690, and both owned by the same company. The list price is the same for both of them ($599). The only reason they picked the Delta over the DeWalt is that for the same list price the Delta comes with a stand and work light and the DeWalt does not. Of course sales and specials will influence the choice between the two.

I could not see any external differences looking at online photos of these two saws viewed from different angles.