mft3

dodgeram99

I still don't get the advantage of these things for home-based shops.  Contractors on the road, understandable.  But what's the big draw if it's stationary?  I'll admit, I never paid much attention...my workbench holds my work just fine.

I'm with you on this. For a home shop I don't think it's a good investment. For that price you're better off buying a Sjobergs bench. If you're going to jobsites it makes sense.

I don't own an MFT3 (yet) so my view on it is based an showcase ones, reviews and videos.

The MFT is certainly a work bench will excellent abilities for work holding. However, I believe that much of its potential lies in the combination with the track saw system Festool offers allowing it to easily and accurately cut panels )and other stuff square and to size.

I have the MFT in my home shop and I LOVE it but I use it in conjunction with my big cabinetmakers bench so I can use each to their best advantages.  

If the MFT is going to be your only bench, I would definitely get the supports as the bench is a bit wobbly without them (I agree with those who believe the bench should be supplied with the supports).  I don't have the supports and don't really need them because I do all the heavy duty planing, pounding on my heavy bench.

The MFT is AWESOME in combination with the Festool tracksaw, routers, etc. and it's workholding capabilities are amazing so I heartily recommend it.

Good luck!

Eric, I'll be your huckleberry.

I have a traditional workbench (a Holtzapffel made out of SYP) and I recently bought a MFT as well. I really didn't have room for it, but it appealed to me for a number of reasons:

• While expensive, it eliminated having to make something
  • Gave me a platform to cross cut wider materials with the track saw
  • Let me put a flat space above dust collectors/vacs, space that would be otherwise unusable
  • Instant outfeed table

Even better than those reasons, I had been having trouble finding a good way to use the Domino with my traditional workbench. I made up a piece of scrap with some T-tracks in it and tried the Rockler clamps, but it didn't work very well. With the multitude of ways that I can utilize the holding power (holes, rails, etc), this should be greatly remedied. My workbench isn't going anywhere, even if I do need to fix my tail vise. The hand work goes there, the rest can be done on the MFT.

I think you could probably get a great deal of benefit out of it if you were in a garage shop that also has to be used for its intended purpose. It's not exactly light, but it isn't weighty enough IMO for a primary bench, unless you modify it or don't do a lot of planing and chiseling. It's a niche product, and a luxury in a shop, but I thought it was worth splashing out on.

• Like 1

Good reasons, Cochese...I just don't share those needs.

Cut most panels with a x-cut sled

Have no remaining space to add any more flat space <_<

Already have an outfeed table

My bench satisfies almost any imaginable workholding need

But everyone's needs and shops are different.  Glad it's working for you.  It would be an expensive clutter collector. :)

Thanks again for all the great advice. Like any tool out there. If it serves a specific task. And can do that task safer easer and fast. Then that is the tool I'm going with. For me I needed a system that I could cross cut large boards and make it repeatable. I also need another work area for sanding and securing it. I also have a larger shop know so I able to make it work for me.

It would be an expensive clutter collector. :)

I dithered over the price for awhile. I told myself several times that I could build something that was about 80% as good for about 40% of the cost. By the time I factored in Festool-compatible T-track, the mechanism to flip up and hold the rail, the rail, a top, and the other materials and my time spent, I pulled the trigger at Woodcraft one day. If you don't need a work platform, you're absolutely correct - huge waste of money and space.

I'm planning out my new shop that I could potentially have two, but I'm not sure I would spend money on a second one, but rather build it next time, since I'll already have the hardware to do the crosscuts, and will just need a same-height platform to support long pieces.