Pinwheel Joint

I was reading an article on Finewoodworking.com about Brian Boggs and his new approach to woodworking as a career, and they showed some of his work including a new joint for a chair. He calls it the pinwheel joint. You can see it in this photo at the back/rail/leg connection. It seemed simple at first, then I saw a

at it is a lot more complicated - an incredible piece of joinery - but complicated.

Wow.

Jonathan

=================================================

I was reading an article on Finewoodworking.com about Brian Boggs and his new approach to woodworking as a career, and they showed some of his work including a new joint for a chair. He calls it the pinwheel joint. You can see it in this photo at the back/rail/leg connection. It seemed simple at first, then I saw a

at it is a lot more complicated - an incredible piece of joinery - but complicated.

Wow.

Jonathan

=================================================

Really cool, what is hot glue? I'm only familiar with it out of a hot gun. Nice joint. Interesting clamping method!

Really cool, what is hot glue? I'm only familiar with it out of a hot gun. Nice joint. Interesting clamping method!

Chris -

He was saying hide glue, not hot glue. Hide glue is an old tried and true glue that is made from the hides, bones, and other non-edible parts of animals. It requires heat to melt it. One of the big benefits is that it is reversible, meaning you can soften the glue with heat if you ever needed to take apart a joint for repairs. Of course I don't think it is as strong as modern glues, but I'm sure it is plenty strong for that joint. It seems to have a lot of long-grain to long-grain connections.

Jonathan

==========================================