camellia oil

Saddlestrum

I've read many blogs and posts advocating rubbing down chisels, plane irons, the family dog, etc. with camellia oil to prevent rusting.

Where does a person buy this stuff?

:lol: Hmmm....maybe we should have one do-it-all liniment like they sold from travelling wagons back in the wild wild west. We can call it "Uncle Marc's Universal Benafactorium Liniment"...good for arthritis, hangnails, fallen arches, and preventing your tool from getting rusty !!!

(there...I think that covers all the body parts)

I have a bottle I bought about 5 years ago at Lie Nielsen. Only halfway through. However regarding your somewhat tongue in cheek point, I worked with a product called Ballistol at The Steppingstone Museum this summer. Our shop is open to the elements and gets a wide swing of temperature and moisture, plus the tools are handled constantly by people who don't think twice about the rust issue. Ballistol was originally developed by the German army around World War I as a single product that could protect the soldier's leather, canvas, and metal. Today it is sold under a sporting goods type approach and is available most anywhere in spray or in a can. We even sharpen with the stuff on the oil stones! I think I'll be bringing some back to my own shop too.

I have a bottle I bought about 5 years ago at Lie Nielsen. Only halfway through. However regarding your somewhat tongue in cheek point, I worked with a product called Ballistol at The Steppingstone Museum this summer. Our shop is open to the elements and gets a wide swing of temperature and moisture, plus the tools are handled constantly by people who don't think twice about the rust issue. Ballistol was originally developed by the German army around World War I as a single product that could protect the soldier's leather, canvas, and metal. Today it is sold under a sporting goods type approach and is available most anywhere in spray or in a can. We even sharpen with the stuff on the oil stones! I think I'll be bringing some back to my own shop too.

Thanks much for the Ballistol recommendation RenaissanceWW. Never heard of it, but I found their website.

If you are bit geared to buying US products then I would look at Jojoba oil. Lie-Nielsen carries it but I am sure you can find it elsewhere. It has similar protective qualities.

Shannon the Balliostol sounds interesting, I might have to look that up and give it a try. Is it about the consistency of WD-40 (thicker or thinner?)?

I'd recommend Boeshield instead. It is apparently an aerosolized paraffin of some sort. I got some from Lee Valley I think, but I saw some at Sears the other day. I sprayed down a cast iron table saw top with it a couple of years ago and haven't seen the slightest hint of rust since. A bit pricey but very good stuff and well worth the investment. Alternatively you can use ordinary mineral oil from the pharmacy. It's similar in chemical composition to paraffin and has the added benefit of being nontoxic. Boeshield I'm not sure about.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions re: camellial oil.

Just to let you know my local Lee Valley store went "huh?" when I asked about camellial oil. This is not a criticism of Lee Valley. No one expects everyone to know about obscure things like camellial oil. I'm only saying not everyone in the woodworking business is as well versed as us "woodworking geeks".

Boeshield works. Ballistol sounds like it'll work too. I did read the write up on it at http://www.ballistol.ca/Ballistol/Pages/Ballistol_Index01.htm

and there are so many applications people have used it for....I think I'll spray some on my head and see if it promotes new hair growth as well !! :(

Haven't seen Jajoba oil around but neither have I been hunting for it.

Is there a simple, readily-available, product that any of us could get easily that will prevent rust...without it costing an arm and a leg?

Has anyone tried mineral oil? . . . others?