Hello form Escalon CA

ocdrums

Hi to everyone out there, my name is Jeff and I am an extremely green woodworker here in the central valley of California. I was wondering how many of you mail order your lumber? I am having a hell of a time finding anything other than Oak, Birch and White Pine, and thats at my local Lowes, so its all beat to heck. If anyone is out there from the area, let me know what you do for stock. Thanks!

Jeff -

I live in the East Bay, and understand you are still a little ways away in the Central Valley, but if you happen to make it to Oakland ever there is a great place called PALS or Plywood And Lumber Supply at 1618 28th St in Oakland. They have a ton of amazing lumber there. The hours can be hard sometimes but definitely worth a trip and fun to go through. If I hear about anything else a bit closer like Stockton I'll let you know.

Take care

Bryan

Hi Jeff,

You don’t need to mail order material. You are close enough to hand pick almost anything you need.

The Woodsman in Stockton (I haven’t been to) may be someplace to check out:

http://www.thewoodsman.net/

I go to Hughes Hardwoods in Rancho Cordova (11441 Sunrise Gold Circle, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742, (916) 638-8658) a lot for material. In looking up the address, they show a Stockton location too:

3625 Stevenson Ave

Stockton, CA 95205-2409

(209) 464-2334

As for as a local sawyer, I’ve also run across the website for Ron Trout in Twain Harte (again I haven’t been there):

http://westcoastlands.net/index.html

There is an Aura Hardwoods in Modesto:

107 South Riverside Drive

Modesto, CA 95354-4004

(209) 579-2872

Aura is also in Rancho Cordova:

2477 Mercantile Drive

Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

Traveling a little farther:

Macbeath Hardwoods in Berkeley (I use them a lot):

http://macbeath.com/

Note – The MacBeath online price is higher than their “in store” price, i.e., they show 10BF of 5/4 QSWO for $92.88, or $9.29/BF. I just picked up the same thing for $6.74/BF from their Berkeley store. Call to see what they have in stock and the current price.

You have a lot of choice within a short drive from Escalon. I’ve seen some great online prices, but by the time I factor in shipping, it’s cheaper to drive a little to pick it up locally.

Good luck and happy building.

Doug, Thank you so much for your reply. I had heard about Aura the other day and had not checked it out yet when I had posted. Went their today, and was impressed with their stock but was disappointed by a few things. One, there were no prices listed anywhere, nothing. How the heck do you know what it's going to cost you when you go to make a purchase. Second, their costumer service stunk. I'm young, I guess, and it looked like everyone else in the place was in their 60-70's. Maybe It was age discrimination. Thats part of the reason I like Marc's stuff so much. He's not like watching my grandfather on a computer. I am going to check out those other places in Stockton in a couple days.

One other question, I am, as I stated earlier, very novice to this, but I am building a headboard and dresser for my daughters room at her grandparents new house. For the vertical posts I wanted to use 4x4 white pine. Is my only option to take 4 1x4s and laminate them?

I can’t comment on the customer service because it’s been 20 years since I’ve been to the Modesto Aura, and they were in a different location. I’ve only gone to the Rancho Cordova Aura a couple of times. When I need lumber, I normally go to Hughes in Rancho Cordova and MacBeath, but I do check Aura prices along with other yards before I pull out of the driveway. MacBeath has their prices marked (I remember because I was there last week), but I can’t remember if Hughes does or not.

Laminating 4/4 material is an option (4 - 1x4s is only 3” thick by 3 1/2” wide, assuming it is sanded and 3/4“ material, not 13/16”). There are a few others:

- Call around to see if anyone has 16/4 (3 1/2” thick surfaced) material in stock. I’d start with MacBeath. I remember seeing/stepping on some 16/4 beams to get up to the QSWO, but I didn’t pay any attention to what it was (it was rough).

There is another place in Auburn, but I have not been to yet, and they might have 16/4 material:

California Hardwood Producers

1980 Grass Valley Hwy.

Auburn, CA 95603

530-888-8191

- Miter four boards to give you four good sides. I just did this QSWO. I built a sled out of MDF to hold each board flat to the sled and on edge and I pushed it through the table saw. I held it to the sled with a screw on each end (I cut the boards 1”+ over length so I could cut off the screw hole). Then you fill the hollow with lumber for mortise support.

- Glue up 4/4 material until you get the thickness you want. To give you the look of a solid leg, glue a thin strip of lumber to cover the sides showing the leg is a make of multiple layers.

I hope this helps.

Doug

Speaking as one of the "Recently Ancient" did you ask if they had a price list at the counter? Frequently the price of wood changes enough that it may not be practical to put a price on the racks. Never hurts to ask and my just show them that you are enthusiastic enough to get involved and get to know the people behind the counter. Also, take a tape measure with you and do some of the math for yourself. Once you know how to measure board feet you can make sure that the wood you are buying is the same as the wood you are paying for. I have found several places here in the bay area that are sketchie at best when it comes to selling wood. I use McBeath's for almost all of my wood purchases. Great selection, and they haven't been off on measurements once.

Glen