Inherited a Radial Arm Saw

mikemountaineer

Radial Arm Saw vs. Table Saw

radial arm saw

Thanks, Paul. I'm curious - In one of your posts in the other thread you mention that there is plenty a table saw can do that a RAS cant. Care to explain exactly what "plenty" is? :)

Is there any degree of precision lost by using a RAS vice using a table or mitre saw for the same task?

Thanks!

Mike, you probably have most of the information you need in the links provided by Paul. Of course there are always comments on safety issues in any discussion of a radial arm saw. However, I’ve seen a particular comment in various forums that I thought I would pass along to you. Here is a quote from one of the comments made on the Lumber Jocks forum that may be helpful.

“One thing I did that helped was install a blade with a negative 5 degree pitch. This really helped reduce the tendency for the saw to want to pull itself into the work. If you want to use a dado in your RAS this is something you have to be careful of – all those extra teeth want to pull the saw ahead if you are using it in the cross-cut mode (not in ripping mode).” – from the Lumber Jocks forum.

post-302-0-19691900-1289611605_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Paul. I'm curious - In one of your posts in the other thread you mention that there is plenty a table saw can do that a RAS cant. Care to explain exactly what "plenty" is? :)

Is there any degree of precision lost by using a RAS vice using a table or mitre saw for the same task?

Thanks!

A RAS can be every bit as accurate as the finest table saws if it is 1) the right kind of RAS and 2) has a properly setup and maintained table. With a table saw the Table is made by the manufacturer and is usually either cast iron, granite or plastic. No matter what it is made of any table saw worth its salt has a flat table. With a RAS the tool owner makes the table. If you just put down a sheet of plywood and call it a day your table will likely not be perfectly flat. So care in making the table is required. There is a book called Mr. Sawdust How to Master a Radial Arm Saw (http://mrsawdust.com/index.php) and it is widely regarded as THE source for RAS information. Among other things, the book teaches you how to make a really great table for your RAS that will last a lifetime.

The other thing that you need to be aware of is whether your RAS is of a type that is any good. A lot of the more modern RAS out there are utter trash. What you need in order to have a decent RAS is a good solid cast iron arm on the saw. Do you know the make and model of the RAS? If you can't find that information posting a picture would be helpful.

A RAS can do just about anything a table saw can do. However a table saw does one thing significantly better then a RAS and that is ripping stock. You can rip with a RAS but 1) it should never attempted without a kickback-stick properly installed (I mean NEVER attempted without that). And 2) even with a kickback stick a table saw is just the superior machine when it comes to ripping. Its easier to setup and safer because of the blade movement you don't have to worry about stock riding up on the blade as much.

A RAS however is better at miters and crosscutting within its arm then a table saw. I own both tools and would never consider going back to just owning a table saw.

Apple Wood - That's some great info, thanks! I went and checked my RAS and couldn't find a year on the saw itself but the manual says copyright 1969. So the saw itself is most likely around that - give or take a few years. It's a "Sears Roebuck and Co." Craftsman 10 inch RAS. I'll have to look at it further to see the materials it is made of. The previous owner also left a bunch of shaper heads which I will NOT be using. After seeing the method of attachment to the arbor, etc. something about that setup spells death.

I'll have to the replace the table as the current table looks very old and beat up. I will most likely keep the saw and use it for cross cuts and mitres. Also, the saw has an extra utility arbor on the opposite side of the motor to attach a drill chuck, sanding drum, etc.

Thanks again for the info.

A RAS can be every bit as accurate as the finest table saws if it is 1) the right kind of RAS and 2) has a properly setup and maintained table. With a table saw the Table is made by the manufacturer and is usually either cast iron, granite or plastic. No matter what it is made of any table saw worth its salt has a flat table. With a RAS the tool owner makes the table. If you just put down a sheet of plywood and call it a day your table will likely not be perfectly flat. So care in making the table is required. There is a book called Mr. Sawdust How to Master a Radial Arm Saw (http://mrsawdust.com/index.php) and it is widely regarded as THE source for RAS information. Among other things, the book teaches you how to make a really great table for your RAS that will last a lifetime.

The other thing that you need to be aware of is whether your RAS is of a type that is any good. A lot of the more modern RAS out there are utter trash. What you need in order to have a decent RAS is a good solid cast iron arm on the saw. Do you know the make and model of the RAS? If you can't find that information posting a picture would be helpful.

A RAS can do just about anything a table saw can do. However a table saw does one thing significantly better then a RAS and that is ripping stock. You can rip with a RAS but 1) it should never attempted without a kickback-stick properly installed (I mean NEVER attempted without that). And 2) even with a kickback stick a table saw is just the superior machine when it comes to ripping. Its easier to setup and safer because of the blade movement you don't have to worry about stock riding up on the blade as much.

A RAS however is better at miters and crosscutting within its arm then a table saw. I own both tools and would never consider going back to just owning a table saw.