AWWWW.... it's SO CUTE!

BuilderBill

Festool Demo Day at Highland today, I needed to pick up a rail deflector and a few of the Fein cord clips for the vac (y'all know how this is gonna end already, right?), and figured I'd pick Dan's brains about the parallel guides and the LR32 setup.

Everything going fine, I'd added a box of Kreg screws and a couple of packs of the Festool jigsaw blades to try in my Bosch, no big deal, out the door with change from a Grant when we started talking about the LR32 and I mentioned I was using the OF1400. Dan gave me one of those "OMG you poor fool" looks and raced off to a nearby shelf....

Next thing I knew, I was playing around with the OF1010 and thinking it was just SO CUTE! No way I could leave it in a storeroom in downtown Atlanta to be neglected and never fed or watered or petted and maybe put to sleep if it didn't get adopted in a month..... :rolleyes:

Here it is with big brother:

post-1150-0-94815100-1289697032_thumb.jp

And here with the router it hopes one day to replace:

post-1150-0-60083400-1289697296_thumb.jp

Next Festool Demo Day comes around somebody PLEASE remind me I need to work or mow the lawn or go fishing or take a nap or get drunk or something....

Best,

Bill

Paul,

How do you like the 700? I've considered it but just don't really have a use for it. I have a PC trim router that I bought mainly for hinge and lock mortising but that's about all and nowadays that's not very often. Do you use it for trimming edge-banding and how does it work for that? I've got to build some shop cabinets and probably kitchen cabs soon and a good edge-trimming router would be a plus....

Bill

I'm still working on making the MFK-700 work the way I expected the product to work. There are limitations to it that seem ridiculous to me, but I have a few items in the mail set to arrive sometime in November that will let me correct most of the problems.

Major issue for me is that the horizontal base won't let you use cutters longer than 5/8". This is annoying for me since I routinely edge band with 3/4"-1" and the router won't do it; I invariably end up using the OF-1400 on its side. Vertically, it is outstanding. Overall, though, dust collection on this is 100%. It is unreal, actually, which is why I want to use it whenever possible (besides it's so handy, quick to set, etc). Just the horizontal use is the issue.

Further, used horizontally, you cannot use the edge guide so if you wanted to bead and edge using the router horizontally, you can't keep the bit square to the surface.

I have fixes for both of these planned; I'll be blogging about both whenever they happen (if they work :) but they will :))

Guest Mahoganus

Those are some cute routers,, That B&D looks exactly like my very first router I bought , well I got for a Christmas present when I was 10, that was around 1983. You know how old that B&D is,, and I wonder if the Festool will last as long. I would also think that the B&D is made in the U.S.A.