Why am I burning my router bit?

Dewald Swanepoel

I'm confused. I'm busy building a router table and I've just tried to perform my first cut on the inverted router but things are not working as expected.

I'm trying to route a dado in a length of MDF. This is for a T-track that goes into the fence. The dado is 19mm wide and 16mm deep but I'm cutting it in increments of 5mm, so not a whole lot of material removed.

The problem I'm having is that the router really is struggling, and from the get go I start burning the wood and the router bit. It's as if the brand new router bit was blunt to start with but I know that is not the case.

The router is a fairly cheap Ryobi but I've routed various cuts in MDF before and it cut through it like a hot knife through butter. The only things that are new here are
1. the router is upside down, I've only ever used it handheld before

2. the bit is 19mm diameter. It's not huge but it's bigger than any bit I've ever used before on this router. I'm not sure if that could be a reason? But then, if the bit was too big for this router to handle, shouldn't the router just moan and groan? Why is it burning the wood and the bit?

3. the cut is quite long, 1.2m to be exact. But I'm getting this problem from the outset so the length is irrelevant.

Any help please?

Try reducing the cut depth to 3mm. Even at 5mm it is removing a lot and MDF is tough on bits as are a lot of manmade materials.

Increase the feed rate slightly too as you may just be hanging in the same place for too long.

Put a shop vac on the router dust extract as the build up of waste could be affecting the cut.

Just because I've made similar bonehead mistake before, are you routing in the correct direction? I ask because you said you've never used a router table before. The feed direction is reversed when you flip a router upside down in a table. If you go the wrong way you are pushing against the bit and risk serious kickback.