Festool Dust collection

cpos11

I am a beginner woodworker and my tools on hand reflect that. I'm using a shop-vac as a DC and while it's working great for the bigger material it's also just kicking out almost all of the finer dust, which is what concerns me more. I don't mind sweeping up but I'm not crazy about the dust being in the air when I am not using the tool. I'm curious about the Festool DC's. I do most of my work in one bay of our three car garage, so I don't have a huge amount of space to work with. Are they able to be used as the sole DC in my garage shop? Can they be connected to non-Festool equipment? How about connecting to bigger things like table saws, planer, jointer? 

Thanks for any feedback.

No, the Festool extractors are not meant to collect dust on the larger machines.  They're good for Festool tools and similar handhelds.  For the bigger machines you'll need a true dust collector...shop vacs and DCs are two different animals.  Shop vacs don't move enough CFM to pull all the waste from the big tools.

Festool extractors can work in a pinch until you can get a real DC.  Probably won't save you any money if that's what's you're after.  Knowing that I would soon be moving into a new, permanent shop, I held off buying a DC and made do with a CT26 with the Oneida Dust Deputy for several months.  The Dust Deputy is designed to be used with a Festool DC and works GREAT for separating the larger material - just be aware that you need to empty it often if you're using it on the larger machines.  You won't get everything, but it's much better than having a regular shop vac leaking fine dust out around the so-called seal.

P B is right, first thing you can do is run a hose from the shop vac exhaust outside. Adding a Dust Deputy to your shop vac will help capture more dust.

Festool dust extractors are nice but not the solution for the entire shop. Best for hand held tools, routers,sanders, track-saws , Domino etc.

• 2 weeks later...