The Future Of Woodworking?

Onboard

I read Tom McKenna’s brief comments on the future of woodworking, but after checking the links out I was wondering how accurate the statistics are. Tom cites two links (see below). The last link has a “Projection Data” table that lists “All Other Woodworkers”. Is this the category that this Forum discusses most? Does this number seem high enough? Please share your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

Tom’s article

Future-Jobs-O-Matic

Bureau of Labor Statistics – Woodworkers

The two pull quotes are probably as follows:

Employment of woodworkers is expected to grow more slowly than the average for all occupations. Job prospects will be excellent for highly qualified workers.

...and...

For woodworkers, the news wasn't good: "Those with general skills may want to get some new training; your jobs may be given to machines."

If your work can be done by a machine, it will be. Fortunately, there exists a vast gulf between "those with general skills" and "highly qualified workers".

I am eternally relieved that there is a huge gulf between "ape with hammer" and "quality furniture." I am also massively depressed I have lately fallen into the "ape with hammer" category...

There will always be a place for both types of individuals, but the former is a fluid position, while the latter is laughing at me. (I mean, secure in his position and abilities, and capable of carving out a niche that will last for quite a while.)

I read Tom McKenna’s brief comments on the future of woodworking, but after checking the links out I was wondering how accurate the statistics are. Tom cites two links (see below). The last link has a “Projection Data” table that lists “All Other Woodworkers”. Is this the category that this Forum discusses most? Does this number seem high enough? Please share your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

Tom’s article

Future-Jobs-O-Matic

Bureau of Labor Statistics – Woodworkers

Man!! you can do and prove anything with statistics! Don't you know if you smoke 80% of you will die? But if you don't smoke, don't drink, never screw more than twice a week never do a day's excercise in your life 100% of you will die. I bet the newspapers 400 years ago predicted that the printing press would do away with secretaries and anyone stupid enough to sharpen a goose quill and write. Actually write! I notice the future jobs thing is talking about Production woodwork. Now Production woodwork is a world away from actually getting down and dirty with real sharp, messy tools. It's all computers. CNC and touch screens these days.

Take a look at the UK the designer maker market has expanded massively in recent years, mainly because people are becoming cheesed off with mass produced, every one has the same, mediocre furniture. Get out there and make something that will pop their eyes out, some body will buy it and some body will see it and come ask for something equally eye popping but, NOT the SAME,

Pete

Man!! you can do and prove anything with statistics! Don't you know if you smoke 80% of you will die? But if you don't smoke, don't drink, never screw more than twice a week never do a day's excercise in your life 100% of you will die. I bet the newspapers 400 years ago predicted that the printing press would do away with secretaries and anyone stupid enough to sharpen a goose quill and write. Actually write! I notice the future jobs thing is talking about Production woodwork. Now Production woodwork is a world away from actually getting down and dirty with real sharp, messy tools. It's all computers. CNC and touch screens these days.

Take a look at the UK the designer maker market has expanded massively in recent years, mainly because people are becoming cheesed off with mass produced, every one has the same, mediocre furniture. Get out there and make something that will pop their eyes out, some body will buy it and some body will see it and come ask for something equally eye popping but, NOT the SAME,

Pete

Pete, I did notice that the bulk of the statistics are "commercial" in nature. That's why I was wondering about the "All Other Woodworkers" category. I clicked on the pdf link for All Other Woodworkers, and it has three categories at the bottom labeled SE1000, SE1300 and SE1400. This seems to relate most to the kind of woodworkers that post to this forum (but I could be wrong). Just wondering about the numbers. I was also wondering what everyone thought of Tom McKenna’s assessment and if anyone thinks it's correct.

Pete

I think it has more to do with the fact, that it's mass produced crap, than it does with the fact it's mass produced. My grandmothers house is full of mass produced furniture from late 50's through the early 70's, but it's quality, and was expensive when she purchased it. I'd say 80% of it is Pennsylvania house and the rest is Ethan Allen.

The stuff these companies produced today is pathetic, paper thin veneers, & foam wood.

Pete, I did notice that the bulk of the statistics are "commercial" in nature. That's why I was wondering about the "All Other Woodworkers" category. I clicked on the pdf link for All Other Woodworkers, and it has three categories at the bottom labeled SE1000, SE1300 and SE1400. This seems to relate most to the kind of woodworkers that post to this forum (but I could be wrong). Just wondering about the numbers. I was also wondering what everyone thought of Tom McKenna’s assessment and if anyone thinks it's correct.

I suspect he has a mass of information at his disposal that we don't but then, so do the Met office and how often do they get the weather right for tomorrow never mind 8 years from now. He may well be right then again he may not. I cannot say.. Maybe I am one of those people who stick their head in the sand. But, I have made a real point over the years of never listening to doom and gloom merchants. Cos, I'm sure it's the fastest way I know to start feeling doomed yourself and once that happens you are. It's a bit like recessions. You never hear of one until a bunch of people, who are probably going to benefit massively, start telling every one else that there is going to be one. Sure enough, every one starts to panic and lo and behold, we have a recession. Right now I know I've been making furniture as a profession for 51 years and I know I have work until at least next May, after that I have no idea but, I'll start to worry about sometime in early April, if I have nothing more booked in.

Pete

I think it has more to do with the fact, that it's mass produced crap, than it does with the fact it's mass produced. My grandmothers house is full of mass produced furniture from late 50's through the early 70's, but it's quality, and was expensive when she purchased it. I'd say 80% of it is Pennsylvania house and the rest is Ethan Allen.

The stuff these companies produced today is pathetic, paper thin veneers, & foam wood.

I couldn't agree more! Mind you I did say mass produced and mediocre. But, my point really was that the reason most of my client's come to me is because I never repeat a piece. Each one is unique to each respective client and that does seem, to me at least, to be the reason they keep coming back.

Pete