sanding sucks

Jim_

I have been sanding all day candy trays I made with my eagle america templets and sanding really sucks there hase to be a better way somehow a powwer tool to get in the tight spots, I usally stop at this point and let my prodjects sit for a while like the sanding fery will finish them for me ( but he never comes) so I guess I have to.

Smoothing planes swallow. ;)

Sanding does indeed suck, especially in tight corners such as the candy trays. Quick check to make sure you aren't making life any more difficult than it needs to be: Use as high a grit as you can until it's all shaped and you just need to smooth out the scratches. Change the paper often, even though it's expensive and you think it really is cutting, it's probably dull.

Or, punt. Break out the carving chisels and make the gentle facets of a hand-carved surface part of the artistic statement. Reminds me of the first time I taped drywall: Once I realized that some people actually pay extra for the hand-plastered look (as opposed to getting all the joint compound perfectly sanded smooth) it was a joy.

One other thing, and you may have already done it, is when you are routing make the last pass a very light pass (1/16" or less) as it will smooth your surface considerably. After that a gooseneck scraper becomes your best friend, no matter what you do there is always sanding but this will help limit the amount. Have fun!

Nate