Band saw Restoration

Joshua Luther

What is it matt says all the time in the podcast? "Fingers and thumbs don't be dumb" lol Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You all would have laughed at me when I first fired it up by plugging an extension in on the other end of the room wearing leather gloves and safety glasses and a heavy leather winter coat(partly because it was cold). I am preceeding with caution.
  • Like 2

What is it matt says all the time in the podcast? "Fingers and thumbs don't be dumb" lol Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You all would have laughed at me when I first fired it up by plugging an extension in on the other end of the room wearing leather gloves and safety glasses and a heavy leather winter coat(partly because it was cold). I am preceeding with caution.

I don't blame you at all. I've fixed many things and I always wear safety glasses and shield the boys the first time I power it up, no point in doing any irreversible damage!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for posting your work.  Looks Great!

I have a Powr-Kraft Montgomery Ward bandsaw very similar to yours.  It was in pretty bad shape when I got it.  But was working fine for thin wood.  I recently started trying to do some simple refurbishing with the hope of using it for crosscutting, etc.  I've had very little experience with bandsaws and I've run in to a couple a problem and I'm hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. 

I started trying to refurbish by replacing the old tires.  However, with the new tires the saw blades slips off, unless I crank the wheels out of coplanar. 'm going to try shimming like shown in this video below, but I thought I'd check to see if you've dealt with this problem too and had any advice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=131AWsaFvKY

Thanks,

Joshua (also)

p.s.  I have the hardest time with the tensioning screw/spring on top. Just doesn't seem to give me enough room for blade replacements without significant wiggling/wear on the blades   Have you modified/refurbished your tensioning system at all?

Did you crown the tires after you installed them?

I assume you already checked here for a manual for your machine. Some digging on owwm.org may help as well.

To contribute to the restoration of bandsaws, I did this 890 a few years back. My first machine resto. Before pic:

After:

I have better after pics around somewhere, just not here.