Band saw Restoration

Joshua Luther

For anyone who is looking to restore a band saw or any other older power tool, hopefully this thread will help encourage or give us all an opportunity to share tips or advice from our own experiences.

I'm going to try and document my band saw restoration as much as I can.

The band saw that I'm restoring is a Sprunger band saw made back in the 50's. I believe it is closely related to the power Kraft brand and was manufactured and sold by or through Montgomery Ward. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I bought this saw used knowing that I was going to be doing a complete disassembly and restoring of it. But for $100 on Craigslist, I couldn't pass it up. I think I've spent more time tuning and fixing my tools than I have actually using them. But that's ok with me, because I'm on a limited budget and have saved a lot of money by doing it myself.

Here is the picture from the from the original Craigslist posting.

2f27c63dfb40cbc93194fe7313e121eb.jpg

f9aa7d0d01373a60862e96da1cfa4dc7.jpg

Proverbs‬ ‭16‬:‭20‬

That cast aluminum soaks in the spray paint and doesn't hide as many scratches as the sheet metal.

Proverbs‬ ‭16‬:‭20‬

try a high build primer, you can get it in spray cans but if you have a gun for auto paint that stuff rocks! Fills fine scratches great and it sand down slick. The duplicolor stuff works good, they sell it at most auto parts stores.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

So I've got this old, semi-scary,  band-saw. It needs a fair amount of work, but I'm excited to have it because i was able to get it for free! Problem being I haven't ever owned a band-saw so I'm going to be kind of winging it.  First step is going to be to start removing rust from the surface, should I paint it afterward? Then I will need a new table of some kind. maybe a new blade, any tips on determining the size needed? Then I am defiantly going to work out some kind of guard(s) so I don't die.

Open to ideas, tips, thoughts!

bandsaw.jpg

Once you get it as de rusted as possible, I would give it a new coat of paint. 1, it will be more visually appealing, 2 it will deprive the old rusted spots of oxygen and moisture to keep it from rusting any more.

Jeremy, what is that existing table made of? It looks kind of like a piece of wood.

as far as the band length, just measure the current one if you can't fine a manual for it online and with that age, I doubt you could. There is a cool old tools restoration forum, I can't remember what it is that I have checked out from time to time. Someone will be able to link to it. 

Call me new school, or a child of the 80's but without some way to contain the blade if it ever snapped or  slipped off of the wheels, I'd wast to be wearing full leathers while I operated that thing. 

Edited by Brendon_t

A curly frame and polycarbonate hinged faces would make it easy to clean inside. Maybe you can find some anti static cleaner ?

To be honest it would more likely be a pine frame :p but perhaps... I made a test cut yesterday, band-saws seem awesome and far safer (even with the spinning wheel of death) then my cheapo tablesaw due to the direction of force. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Once you get it as de rusted as possible, I would give it a new coat of paint. 1, it will be more visually appealing, 2 it will deprive the old rusted spots of oxygen and moisture to keep it from rusting any more.

Jeremy, what is that existing table made of? It looks kind of like a piece of wood.

as far as the band length, just measure the current one if you can't fine a manual for it online and with that age, I doubt you could. There is a cool old tools restoration forum, I can't remember what it is that I have checked out from time to time. Someone will be able to link to it. 

Call me new school, or a child of the 80's but without some way to contain the blade if it ever snapped or  slipped off of the wheels, I'd wast to be wearing full leathers while I operated that thing. 

The existing table is a semi rotted piece of ply, complete with a big pile of bird poo! Winning! I really like how it looks all open and almost steam punkish but yes something has to be done for my own safety, recently I got in a fight with a pully on my in-laws washing machine and got stitches in a finger can't imagine what these mothers would do Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I always tell people that butcher shops use a bandsaw to cut up chunks of meat, bone and all ! So be very cautious to stay clear of the blade . Never push with the blade lined up with your fingers, either be well off to the side or use a push block. Cheap ugly guards to start with can be refined later. One emergency room visit costs more than a new bandsaw ! 

• Like 2