Brian in Columbus, OH

reforzar

Hello all,

I moved to Columbus a little over a year ago. I just finished building a 3-car garage that will be partly wood working space. I am a photographer during the day and head home to do wood in the evening. I enjoy turning and furniture making. I've been active with The Wood Whisperer for about two years now.

Brian

Hello,

I live in the Hilltop area. My wife too is absolute on parking in the garage in winter and I might too. I already have a sketch of where I would like to put things (currently in the basement) and thing I'll be able to make the middle bay area a "portable wood working" area. Especially considering this last winter. I'm really happy to not have to duck under the pipes running in the basement. :D

I attached picture's of the house side, wife's side, my side, and the street side.

post-648-019341700 1281477657_thumb.jpg

post-648-062710100 1281477675_thumb.jpg

post-648-099791100 1281477689_thumb.jpg

post-648-068036800 1281477731_thumb.jpg

I like the garage door on the house side.

Thanks, that is not only for ventilation but easily move large things (lawn mower, wood, etc). It does take up wall space but so far has been completely worth it. We just finished the siding/gutters and had it inspected. Soon the tools will be moving from basement to garage! :D

Good day Brian - I hope you're not suffering the heat we are here in N.E. Okla. Do you happen to know of J.D. Lohr in Schwenksville, Pa? I will be attending his furniture making course this October. www.jdlohrwood.com

Jerry

Hello Jerry, Today the heat index was 104. Yikes! I actually do not know J.D. Lohr mainly because I have not been looking. Right now I'd rather spend the money on a better jointer :)

I may check out his stuff in the future though. Thanks!

Brian

I like the garage door on the house side.

I do, too. So many options....

I solved the issue of having anybody park in the garage temporarily. Last place the garage was only 2 inches wider than the mirrors, had a cracked floor that required gunning the engine to get over the hump and stomping on the brakes immediately to keep from crunching against the cinderblock wall, and a **SHARP** 90 degree bend to get into the garage. If you missed by a little bit, you'd hit the back corner of the neighbor's house. And forget it in winter; the snow whipped around and piled up 3 feet deep in front of the garage doors.

This place, there isn't even a garage. The driveway is in the back of the property, off a small alley with another 90 degree sharp and short bend. And they don't plow during the winter, so I'm not going to attempt it in the vehicle I have now.

Back to the garage door; are you going to set up your spray booth / area at that door? Or just use it for summer time access? Or are you still working that out?

I do, too. So many options....

I solved the issue of having anybody park in the garage temporarily. Last place the garage was only 2 inches wider than the mirrors, had a cracked floor that required gunning the engine to get over the hump and stomping on the brakes immediately to keep from crunching against the cinderblock wall, and a **SHARP** 90 degree bend to get into the garage. If you missed by a little bit, you'd hit the back corner of the neighbor's house. And forget it in winter; the snow whipped around and piled up 3 feet deep in front of the garage doors.

This place, there isn't even a garage. The driveway is in the back of the property, off a small alley with another 90 degree sharp and short bend. And they don't plow during the winter, so I'm not going to attempt it in the vehicle I have now.

Back to the garage door; are you going to set up your spray booth / area at that door? Or just use it for summer time access? Or are you still working that out?

Hello,

I did plan to attempt to set up some sort of fan spray booth when the time comes for that. I watched a finished video where the guy had (I believe) just a box fan and diagonal ply to funnel the spray. I don't know if that will work but it was an initial thought. If nothing else it will be great ventilation in heat or finishing time. I do use a mask when finishing but I think the extra air won't hurt. My main wood storage is also in the basement of the house (I think the environment is more stable) so it will also be great to move large heavy pieces into the workshop area. Thanks for the question!

Brian