How to deal with this board

Milo

Not sure what the definition of a SLAB is. This board appears 7/8 thick and is just a hunk of plain sawn wood that is to be processed down to 3/4. The band saw trick is to remove season cracks/checks  to help maintain the width of a wide board to fit a project being built. 

Breaking down this board to make boxes, will remove the stress. Wood is wood and its going to move. Deal with the cards as they are dealt. The band saw application, in this case, could be used to maintain width for the bottom or back of the boxes if you decide to go wide. 

-Ace- 

If I get your last few posts, you’re asking what’s the difference between the OP and the CN-demo technique? Right?

I’ll try to explain... It’s not about crosscutting to relieve tension in the stick or the definition of SLAB – it’s about Maple vs Walnut... And the OP is about Maple, not a web video on Walnut...

Some clarification: One stick is primarily sap with a smattering of heart (and all the heart in Acer is near the pith)... To Eric’s point, the stick may not include the pith, but the heart in Acer will be near enough the pith where it’s going to be a problem... The crack in the Maple stick was caused by differential expansion/compression rates between heart and sap... It’s why you try to avoid mixing heart and sap in Maple projects... Even when the crack is ‘repaired’ in the Maple stick, the differential rates would remain and the odds are good that the stick will split again... The Walnut example is a check in the heartwood due to differential MC through the stick as it dried. When the all-heart stick is dry and stable, the stick should remain stable – the odds are that the crack won't re-appear...

• 2 weeks later...

Sticks with a lot of tension can behave unpredictably as the tension is released during the cut. It's best-practice (and safest) to use a bandsaw for cuts the may behave unpredictably...

There are many who recommend all rough ripping operations be performed on the bandsaw. It's not a bad recommendation, if you have the equipment -- and certainly safer than performing ripping operations on the tablesaw... If you don't have a bandsaw, then use a jigsaw... From there, use a handsaw...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't gotten back on the thread to let folks know the outcome.  Went to the Dermatologist and ended up having to get cut on and burn on and then do the chemical burn on the face.  Haven't been feeling exactly energetic.  

I DID cut the wood, just as we discussed earlier in the thread.  Stress had caused that center crack to lengthen a bit, and it lined up nicely for a straight cut up the center from the bottom on the bandsaw,  Didn't have any real problems until the cut was almost finished.  For some odd reason everything seemed to bog down for no visible reason.  As hhh told Chris, that could have been bad on the tablesaw.

I will take a picture tomorrow of the two boards I got.  I think they turned out nicely, and will mill down nicely into but 3/4" and 3/8" blanks for boxes.