Woodworking Equipment From Auctions

elwoodblues

I don't know about live auctions but I know that here in Nashville we have a government surplus auction site. They have been clearing out a lot of wood working equipment. Hopefully stocking up with new and not shutting down the school shops.

The prices are going through the roof!! I can't believe what people are paying for some of this stuff. Everything thing needs to restored and people bid like nuts because they think since it is surplus they are going to get it for a steal.

Here we have a state surplus complex that looks like an explosion in a rummage sale. Sometimes there are pieces worth buying. Most of the woodworking tools are JUNK, needing a total rebuild. At auction houses, there are too many "Plants" who will run the price up if given a signal by the people running the sale. The biggest problem with an auction purchase is that there is NO warrentee or guarentee, even if the piece is new or almost new. I believe it to be wiser and cheaper in the long run to buy at a reputable store or online from a known seller. The best way to transport a tool that is taller than it is wide is to either lay it down, with care and a lot of padding, or standing upright and very carefully restrained with ratchet straps. In both cases, so that it cannot slide.

I have bought at auctions before and just make sure you do your homework, look it over real good, and listen to it run first. Most auctions that are selling valued machinery have an allotted time before the auction to check it out and hear it run. The ones I have been to you could test it out but I would imagine that may not always be the case because of liability, I would however think that the owner or the auctioneer would show the tool in use. As for hauling a bandsaw just make sure it is strapped down and protected it doesn't need to be standing up or anything. You may want to bring lots of blankets and pillows as well as wood blocks of different sizes with to shim up area's, for example if it may work the best to lay it on it's side but the table will cause it to see-saw so putting blocks down will solve that problem. Good luck and let us know how you turn out.

Nate