Tomorrow is my sign up day for Cerritos College

Bobby Slack

Classes that I am going to take (if there is room).

- Introduction to Woodworking. This class is a must probably because of insurance purposes. I feel like going back to kindergarten but not taking this class will limit my options.

- Wood Finishing. This will be a full semester of finishing, very interesting.

- Furniture Design. Self explanatory.

- Introduction to Face Frame Cabinetmaking. This class will open doors to Architectural Woodworking classes.

So there you have it. I was going to take a class on Solid Surface Fabrication if I can't get in the finishing class, still debating it ... hmmmm probably not.

Why am I doing this? I got tired of winging it. School will give me structure and discipline.

2011 Spring Flyer.pdf

Good for you Bobby. The courses seem very reasonably priced. Wish there was something like that around here.

There's nothing wrong with going over the foundations again, after all, that's what you build everything else upon. There's always something new to learn.

So, got your pencils sharp, eraser, ruler, notepad, apple for the teacher?

John

Classes that I am going to take (if there is room).

- Introduction to Woodworking. This class is a must probably because of insurance purposes. I feel like going back to kindergarten but not taking this class will limit my options.

- Wood Finishing. This will be a full semester of finishing, very interesting.

- Furniture Design. Self explanatory.

- Introduction to Face Frame Cabinetmaking. This class will open doors to Architectural Woodworking classes.

So there you have it. I was going to take a class on Solid Surface Fabrication if I can't get in the finishing class, still debating it ... hmmmm probably not.

Why am I doing this? I got tired of winging it. School will give me structure and discipline.

Congratulations Bobby. I would be very interesting in a weekly recap of your learning experience at Cerritos.

Marty. I see this as an investment. I read in a blog that the best tool in our shop is our book collection. I say .. our brain. The more I know, the more the books make sense.

There is a lot of amazing content online, even fantastic online schools like Shannon Rogers http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/hand-tool-school-intro/

My approach is to use the features that a big city like Los Angeles has to offer. Plus it would help to get a little piece of paper that reads "graduate from Cerritos College".

Shannon has a great program and was very tempting ... still is.

You'll love it. Even the beginning WW class I learned some new things. Atherton and Krauss are excellent instructors with real world experience. it's money well spent.

I've been thinking of taking classes myself but cant find the best of options in my area. Where is this college located? (Issues with adobe)

Darrian, I don't know where you live, but if it's in the U.S., you can go here and at least see some of the woodworking related schools available. This is not an exhaustive list, but it's a start. I'm not sure how often this list is updated.

I saw his work and is amazing.

By the way I just enrolled on my classes. Did not get in the finishing class. I had to save money. Got only on three courses. Invested about $ 400.00 in future knowledge.

Congrats, Bobby. Great opportunity. I'm hoping to take a month class or more from Port Townsend School of Woodworking. Seth Rolland is faculty there.

Probably my favorite modern designer.

May be I should start a blog on this. I wanted also do start a blog on Spanish because there is absolutely no content online, I saw some that were very poorly done. May be ... a bilingual one ... yes that is it.

I will do this and link with Marc's forum and contribute to the community with my new acquired knowledge.

You'll have to keep us posted on the classes. How well they teach, techniques their teaching, etc. Good luck, Bobby!! Again, great opportunity!