Entertainment Console.

Vic

I hope all of you can open this. It's done in Sketch It. This is in the very beginning stages of design. After doing some things for the shop, I'll be building an entertainment center. Please chime in on any ideas/thoughts.

At this point I'm thinking of a undercut bevel for the top. Inset drawers from the dividers. Probably Black Walnut and some really crazy Maple I have on hand. I'm also thinking I'll be doing much of this in veneer. I want a vacuum press and this will "justify" that purchase.

post-8-0-26981700-1291427519_thumb.jpg

I like it. Waiting for more!

lol..Rick..you know how slow I am. I've got a Roubo to make, an assembly/outfeed table, a couple miscellaneous cabinets for the shop, then I'll get to this. Meanwhile..I'll keep sketching and resketching...Were you able to find the software to view it ;)

Vic-Torious! that design looks awesome. Since you are like all of us, proud dude. Look at the blog design matters and check out your proportions, George Walker wrote an article on Popular Woodworking of proportions and rhythm on a piece. Since you are in control of all these measurements, check with George, he will be a great source of proportions.

Next consider the "negagive space".

I have no idea of what I am talking about ... really ... your piece is fantastic and checking with guys like George will help you make a super piece ... since you are not quite ready to do it, is best to check with the pro's.

Vic-Torious! that design looks awesome. Since you are like all of us, proud dude. Look at the blog design matters and check out your proportions, George Walker wrote an article on Popular Woodworking of proportions and rhythm on a piece. Since you are in control of all these measurements, check with George, he will be a great source of proportions.

Next consider the "negagive space".

I have no idea of what I am talking about ... really ... your piece is fantastic and checking with guys like George will help you make a super piece ... since you are not quite ready to do it, is best to check with the pro's.

Thanks Bobby. Yea, I'm in and, hopefully will always be, in a learning mode. I know of Walker. More than anything I just study what I like and don't like about the shapes around me. What seems pleasing to my eye, what gives me a sense rest or if needed energy. Nature and all the existing architecture even in my immediate area is a huge resource.

Are the drawers square on the inside, just the fronts curved like that?

Looks to be a beautiful piece.

I'm still playing with the shape, so I have not addressed any details to that extent yet. I would probably keep them square, yes.

Something like these?

LOL...that's actually similar to where this idea started. An upswing. I like the negative space between the top and the downswing better. Thanks for taking the time to sketch that, though. My original had much more of an Asian feel to it.

Would you consider moving those supports closer to the center of the long axis of the piece?

With them being on the outer edge, I think it makes the piece a little boxy - which seems like something you are trying to avoid.

I think I see what you mean, Steve. But, I'm not worried about the top. The edge you see in the photo is a beveled edge. I'm thinking the top to be 6/4 to 8/4. Personally, I'd like to entertain the idea of a live edge on the top, but this is for Sylvia and she really does not like live edge. She appreciates the look, but not a fan.

I think I see what you mean, Steve. But, I'm not worried about the top. The edge you see in the photo is a beveled edge. I'm thinking the top to be 6/4 to 8/4. Personally, I'd like to entertain the idea of a live edge on the top, but this is for Sylvia and she really does not like live edge. She appreciates the look, but not a fan.

I designed something similar to this a few years ago but radically different in that it was a large dresser unit, but, I separated the top from the curved base by a few inches using stainless steel pins. I'm not sure of your dimensions but, you could try an inch or so. It also will make attaching the top accurately with regard to position and balance easier. Having made the base I fitted the steel pins into the top of it where I could see they were dead right then I slid the top on and moved it a few millimetres around until it looked and measured right then I marked their position with a light tap on the top using a mallet and a scrap piece of wood to protect it, removed the top inverted it and made the fixings, in this case tiny rings with a shoulder that took a grub screw to tighten against the pins. The space between the two pieces of furniture made a huge visual impression.

Just an idea.

Pete

I hope all of you can open this. It's done in Sketch It. This is in the very beginning stages of design. After doing some things for the shop, I'll be building an entertainment center. Please chime in on any ideas/thoughts.

At this point I'm thinking of a undercut bevel for the top. Inset drawers from the dividers. Probably Black Walnut and some really crazy Maple I have on hand. I'm also thinking I'll be doing much of this in veneer. I want a vacuum press and this will "justify" that purchase.

Vic, I’m no designer, but I picture the following addition. Put a piece of the wood (like the top species), in the intersection between the bottom of the table top, and the top drawers. Start in the corner created by the intersection, and then go down about halfway on the side of the curvature of the top drawer. From there go up and toward the ends of the table top (about half to two-thirds of the way) in a straight line which would reflect the straight edge of the top, or an inward curve to reflect the outward curve of the case. This could be a piece that is 3/4” – 1” thick, or a piece that goes all the way to the back. It might be nice if the piece would blend visually from the table top to the curved side so that it looked like one piece or transition. Sorry, I have no way I can draw this for you.