Project Vs Tools...

Tpt life

Which I think is analogous to woodworkers who buy lots of tools but hardly build anything or put effort into refining their skills.  They're interested in things, not actions.  It lacks substance.  It lacks meaning.

I think the real hobby for a lot of people is "Curiosity" and/or "Learning" and/or "Novelty".  They don't have to ever do it to learn a ton about it and really feel like they know all about it. They're Dunning–Kruger effect run wild all over everything they get fascinated by.  It's easy to watch all the woodworking videos and think "well with what I know I could be a master woodworker if I had the tools" and then just move on. Or further and get some/a lot of tools and do a few little piddly things to prove this "mastery" and then get bored with it rather than face the reality of one's true ability. Then to any non-woodworker you can talk about it and sound like an expert and stroke the ego...and meanwhile off to the next thing to become an expert. 

Then there's Trip who moves around hobbies but ACTUALLY DOES become an expert (by most people's standards).  Befriend those when you find them. =p

• Like 1

I think the real hobby for a lot of people is "Curiosity" and/or "Learning" and/or "Novelty".  They don't have to ever do it to learn a ton about it and really feel like they know all about it. They're Dunning–Kruger effect run wild all over everything they get fascinated by.  It's easy to watch all the woodworking videos and think "well with what I know I could be a master woodworker if I had the tools" and then just move on. Or further and get some/a lot of tools and do a few little piddly things to prove this "mastery" and then get bored with it rather than face the reality of one's true ability. Then to any non-woodworker you can talk about it and sound like an expert and stroke the ego...and meanwhile off to the next thing to become an expert. 

Then there's Trip who moves around hobbies but ACTUALLY DOES become an expert (by most people's standards).  Befriend those when you find them. =p

Either you're a shrink or you got infected by that Dunning-Kruger effect :D

Either you're a shrink or you got infected by that Dunning-Kruger effect :D

I've played a lot of video games and Dunning-Kruger runs RAMPANT in online gaming.  People always think they're better than they are and that everyone that beats them is cheating or just "got lucky" or whatever...almost all of the stereotype of the raging teenager playing online games is fueled by Dunning-Kruger.