Trouble with Arm R Seal

Kevin MCMahon

Technically it is a thinned oil based varnish.  Not at oil.  Oil based means you thin it with mineral spritis(or what ever oil type solvents) not water, alcohol, or lacquer thinner. that is distinct from being an oil varnish blend like most danish oils.  An oil based varnish no matter how much it is thinned is still different from an oil or oil varnish blend.

So it is thinned with oil type thinners.

This is true (and I'm not sure anyone is debating that) but it still doesn't make sense to wipe it off.  Both because it's a waste of finish and because it will cause streaking issues.  ARS tacks up too fast to do the flood on/wipe off method like you can do with Danish oil.  That is, after the first coat.  I apply the first coat of ARS the same way I apply the first coat of DO.  After that it's two different ball games.

This is true (and I'm not sure anyone is debating that) but it still doesn't make sense to wipe it off.  Both because it's a waste of finish and because it will cause streaking issues.  ARS tacks up too fast to do the flood on/wipe off method like you can do with Danish oil.  That is, after the first coat.  I apply the first coat of ARS the same way I apply the first coat of DO.  After that it's two different ball games.

I wasn't commenting on issues of techniques, just factual issues about the nature of the product.

I wasn't commenting on issues of techniques, just factual issues about the nature of the product.

Well, if ya really want to get technical. Oil's are basically divided into 3 groups. Long/Medium/Short.  Each have a purpose of application.  Lots of information on the subject, let google be a friend. Oil is oil no mater how you decide to talk about it. 

Most folks have a very good understanding of what an oil-based or water-based finish is. But the true core nature of what certain oils do is defined by Long/Medium/Short and cut through the marketing crap lingo such as danish oil or spar varnish. 

-Ace-