Problem dividing spaces with a reveal between them.

Bobby Slack

I have three gates with three different sizes. I am installing vertical slats with a reveal between them. The reveal is 5mm

My goal is to have all vertical slats the same size and of course the reveal the same.

Example

Stile + 5mm reveal + slat + 5mm reveal + slat + 5mm reveal ... Stile.

I understand what you are ultimately trying to draw, but I am not sure I understand the question. Are the slats a known size and you just want to know how to space them evenly? or do you need SketchUp to automatically determine the size of the slats so that you'll have a known number of slats based on your reveal parameter? do you need all 3 differently sized gates to have the same number of slats?

OK. Here it goes.

Gate 1.

Total width (ID stile to stile): 1164mm

Maximum with possible of slat is 150mm

Gate 2.

Total width: 1007mm

Gate 3.

Total ID available width 1004mm

There should a way where Sketchup can figure this automatically right?

I understand what you are ultimately trying to draw, but I am not sure I understand the question. Are the slats a known size and you just want to know how to space them evenly? or do you need SketchUp to automatically determine the size of the slats so that you'll have a known number of slats based on your reveal parameter? do you need all 3 differently sized gates to have the same number of slats?

Hey Aaron, thanks so much. The problem is not drawing but figuring out the mechanics on how sketchup can calculate the width of these slats.

Hey Bobby, I'll be happy to help but I need to know more. Are you asking how to do this in SketchUp? Or do you just want to figure out how big the slats should be?

If I'm understanding the question, you want to leave 5mm between the slats and end up with equally sized slats. SketchUp can make equally spaced copies a couple of ways but you will need to do a little math. You didn't mention how many slats you want, and that's the key to spacing. Take the inside dimension, then subtract the total width of the spaces you are calling reveals. For example: 5 slats would need 6 spaces. 6 x 5mm = 30mm. Subtract 30mm from the width and divide by 5 to get the width of the individual slats.

I would model the first slat and put it in position in your model. Then make a copy parallel to the original with 5mm of space in between. Before you do anything else, type 4X and hit enter. SketchUp will make a total of 4 copies, with equal spaces in between. You could also figure out where the last slat ought to be in relation to the first then make a copy to that point. Immediately after the copy type a forward slash (/) followed by the number of spaces you want. SketchUp will space copies in between the original and the first copy that are spaced equally. This would lose the 5mm spacing you're after, but it's a way to do it if you want to keep the slats the same size.

I think it would be a lot easier to make all the slats the same size, and vary the spacing in between, but I'm not really clear on what you're trying to accomplish or what it should look like.

Bob Lang

Bob's answer is right on (as usual) when it comes to doing this in SketchUp. The only problem is that you either have to know your dimensions in advance or be willing to play around a bit. SketchUp doesn't have a built in way to do the calculations for you, Bobby.

To really calculate the best fit, I put together a little spreadsheet. Because I am a big ol' geek. Turns out that a perfect answer doesn't exist for all 3 gates, but 120mm works pretty good as a slat width for the two narrow gates. The larger gate has some leftover space so you would need to make each slat slightly wider (like 124mm) or make the reveal spaces bigger. Here is a picture of the calcs.

11efccb3.jpg

If you (or anybody else) would like to play around with the calculator, I put it up publicly as a Google Doc. This link will take you to it. Changing the yellow boxes allows you to experiment, but this is a public document so please try to leave it like you found it so others can benefit also.

You solved my problem, thanks now I will use the dimensions and start milling.

Bob's answer is right on (as usual) when it comes to doing this in SketchUp. The only problem is that you either have to know your dimensions in advance or be willing to play around a bit. SketchUp doesn't have a built in way to do the calculations for you, Bobby.

To really calculate the best fit, I put together a little spreadsheet. Because I am a big ol' geek. Turns out that a perfect answer doesn't exist for all 3 gates, but 120mm works pretty good as a slat width for the two narrow gates. The larger gate has some leftover space so you would need to make each slat slightly wider (like 124mm) or make the reveal spaces bigger. Here is a picture of the calcs.

11efccb3.jpg

If you (or anybody else) would like to play around with the calculator, I put it up publicly as a Google Doc. This link will take you to it. Changing the yellow boxes allows you to experiment, but this is a public document so please try to leave it like you found it so others can benefit also.