Woodworking ADD

Roger T

Message to Bobby Slack:

Never nagging wife, the term is MANAGEMENT.

That's fantastic. I always refer to mine as "The Warden". And after dozens of times of making plans, then having to cancel them because I already made other plans with The Warden for family events or parties, I now just tell people "I'm not sure, check with my Social Planner".

I also "delegate" the social planning to management/warden. :huh:

That's fantastic. I always refer to mine as "The Warden". And after dozens of times of making plans, then having to cancel them because I already made other plans with The Warden for family events or parties, I now just tell people "I'm not sure, check with my Social Planner".

Yeah Bobby, I just gave up after a while. We have the same group of friends, and both have big families. Plus we've been together so long that my sisters have just taken to telling her the plans for holidays/bdays, etc etc. Because after they've told me once, I'm bound to forget. But the Social Planner always has my event schedule handy. Gotta love her though.

I have a friend who's married, and when we're talking about doing some project I'll just turn to his wife to schedule a time. I've learned not to bother with asking him.

It works better if one person keeps the schedule for the family. Which person it is doesn't matter, as long as you don't have two people making plans for the same time.

I have a friend who's married, and when we're talking about doing some project I'll just turn to his wife to schedule a time. I've learned not to bother with asking him.

It works better if one person keeps the schedule for the family. Which person it is doesn't matter, as long as you don't have two people making plans for the same time.

Agreed. Sometimes it sucks because I will want to do something on a specific day and get geared up and then be like "Hey honey, I tink I'm going to go to *insert event here* on *insert date here*...", and she'll be like "Honey, you can't. We have *insert event here* that day". And then I go "Ohhh yeahhh, that's right!" and walk away with a scowl on my face. hahaha

I think that Marc was the one that suggested that you put a pad and pencil next to you at your sanding station. While you are doing the mind-numbing task of sanding your table top to glass smooth think about the next project (or 10 projects) you want to work on and make notes on the pad. That way you don't lose complete focus on the sanding, but you are at least able to let your mind wander a bit and you won't be as tempted to work on your jointer, or clean the shop (Really, how did it get this dirty?).

I have the unfortunate luxury of not having the space to have multiple things going on at the same time. If I want to get to the next project, I need to finish the current one.

Since I spend a lot of time in my life overall looking for stuff and with ADD this means ... every time I find something put it in the right spot there is a chance for wondering.

The solution is simple: after using something ... put it away. Simple right. Not so fast private Johnson. :D

Well everytime I work on a project, I try to not have more than 3 - 5 tools in my work area. Otherwise I feel crowded. So I do put them back. But that doesn't seem to matter because I have Shop Gremlins in my garage that come out during the night and move my tools so that when I come in the next time, I can't find what I'm looking for. I believe that they are the cousins of the Red Pen Gremlins that live in my office at work. I swear, I can use a red pen, set it down on my desk, walk away for 5 minutes, and when I come back, it's gone. They eventually turn up... under my desk, in random drawers, in my coat pocket, in another office etc etc. You get the idea...

• 2 weeks later...

This is how most of my shop days go. I don't see what the problem is. Unless you're doing this for a living, seems like a fun way to spend the day. =)

I mean, how many of the things on your list are things you didn't have to do eventually?

The only thing I try to avoid is to completely interrupt a project to start on a NEW project. =)