Woodworking ADD

Roger T

Yep, there I said it. I have woodworking ADD, and I have it bad. Here is the typical scenario. Out of bed, make coffee, check forums, head to the basement shop. Lights, radio, apron. Ready to rumble. Current project happens to be a set of built in shelves, I am in the sanding stages now, and should be finishing hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. So, I am sanding along, minding my own business, when I spot a project that I started on a long time ago. hmmmmmmmm, wonder what I need to do to this to get back on track with this..... mess with this for a few minutes, (but could be an hour or more in reality) back to sanding after realizing that I just wasted precious time on something that was started long ago. Happily working along, jamming to the tunes, and start thinking about my nemesis, the Jointer. I cant use it right now because the knives need to be sharpened and replaced, but sitting in a box is an early christmas present of a Byrd Shellix head. That needs to be installed. Dig around for the manual for the jointer, finally find it. Going through the part list trying to make sense of how to get the old head out, and the new head in. Just dont make sense! Guess I will just dive into it and see what makes things tick. Oh yeah, forgot about the sanding thing..........

This scenario repeats itself many times during my time in the shop. I think at last count, I have at minimum of 4 small furniture projects started. None of them even half way done..... all set aside for another day. I have one small project that I really want to finish, a panel marking gauge. Still have a nice big bowl on the lathe waiting for me to get back to..... the list goes on, and on, and on...

This is not so bad now, as I am unemployed, and have all the time in the world, but when I am working 40+hours a week, and only get shop time on the weekends. Well it just kills me.

What tricks do y'all use to stay focused on the job at hand? Maybe you don't have the WW ADD like I do, and god bless you!!!

Happy and safe WW'ing to y'all.

Roger

I go through times like that Roger. But, I try to have in mind what I intend to do before I go to the shop, now. It definitely helps. One question: If you're currently unemployed, why not start working the hobby into a business?

What tricks do y'all use to stay focused on the job at hand?

A nagging wife to get the bedroom closet done, because after that she wants a linen closet, because after that she wants new kitchen cabinets, because after that she wants.... Oh, and don't forget about the jewelry box, which I won't build because then she will want me to fill it. She is really good about waiting to get the stuff built, but she is really good about reminding me how long it is taking.

I go through times like that Roger. But, I try to have in mind what I intend to do before I go to the shop, now. It definitely helps. One question: If you're currently unemployed, why not start working the hobby into a business?

Morning Vic,

In the real world, I am a carpenter. Concrete to crown molding, I do it all. Because I commute to Chicago to work, my normal day usually runs between 11 and 12 hours long. Sometimes longer depending on traffic. By the time I get home, I lack the concentration to be able to work safely, and effectively in the shop. When you are tired, mistakes happen, and with the whirly spinny things that like to eat fingers and such, well, I just cant afford to have an accident.

So that leaves just the weekends to play. When I first set my shop up, I set it up as a hobby shop. Quite frankly, I am just not set up to be able to work efficiently in my basement. No dedicated finishing area, all my tools on wheels, set up and break down of tools just to do the next step. I loose so much valuable time doing this, that a potential client would never pay for that in a work a day world.

If I turn my hobby into a business, then it no longer is a hobby. I like to work on things that I want to work on, rather than what I HAVE to work on.

When I got my first lathe, a Jet 1236, I set up for making pens. Made a few to get a feel of making them, and proceeded to make 50 pens, in a weekend. Talk about mind numbing, boring turning work. I figured that I could pay for my lathe and tooling for it, with pen sales alone. Out of the 50 I made, I think I sold less than 10! That didnt even pay for the supplies hardly. I dont have much of a social life, and when I am working, I work with the same group of guys day in and day out. So, pretty much just word of mouth is my only avenue of sales.

Tho, I am currently working on a commission project, and that is helping out a bunch. Plus, 8 more years in the trades, and I am thinking about retiring. I cant just give up what I have invested in my career at this point, I am to close.

A job into a hobby, by all means. But a hobby into a real job, not for me at this time.

Just a little insight.

Roger

I'm on an 8 year plan,too.

I just finished (okay, almost finished) my 3 year plan on the weekend bench project... (I have to wait for warmer weather to fully finish the project.)

On to the next (ignored) project... I've got 30 years left to finish it.

The projects I work on always are of two kinds. One makes me a decent amount of money, mostly in wood parts for the restoration of antique aircraft, Christmas and Hanukkah decorations, etc. The other type are all of the projects for the house, usually dictated by Management (wife). I do not have ADD, I am just lazy, and cleaning up the shop will produce some project that has been set aside for another one. This can, and does, result in a lot of time taken up (wasted, is the way it is discribed to me by the affor mentioned Management) desiding which has presedence. However, I have done some research on the subject. If you are really in the mood to do the work on a specific project, it seems to get done more quickly. Then again, something else, may come up like fishing or golf or...................................

I just love you guys and your approach. A job into a hobby or a hobby into a job. D'you know I aint had a job in 42 years but I aint had a day off either, well no, I did have one, the day Suzi and me got married here in France. To us, and I mean both of us, although technically Sue is drawing her Government salary, I think they call it a pension, my work is my life, I've never once looked upon it as a 'job' No one would employ me anyhow. Having said that I do sometimes find myself discovering a project that should have been finished months ago. Guilt?? you bet.

I just finished (okay, almost finished) my 3 year plan on the weekend bench project... (I have to wait for warmer weather to fully finish the project.)

On to the next (ignored) project... I've got 30 years left to finish it.

lol..no, an 8 year plan to move to solely doing custom work for a living.

I got ADD on home improvements on my first house. The result is nothing got done, and the place was a mess. A hard and steadfast rule I take now with my woodworking projects is 1 and only 1 at a time. While still not perfect at (there still stuff that needs to be done in a bathroom renovation that I started many years ago) I have been able to get a lot more accomplished, in a shorter period of time. If I am lucky, I get about 4-5 hours of wood working a week, so I have to be fairly careful what I do with the time I do have in the shop. (And right now, I am lucky if I get in the shop at all because the weather is too cold, and my kerosene heater can't compete to make the garage warm enough)

Roger, I suffer from the same condition you mentioned. I have a handful of projects going all at the same time and its like riding a carousel, I keep going round and round and round the shop from one project to the next, not getting much accomplished. I think that the first step to recovery is just admitting that I have a problem. :huh:

I have tried to focus on what I want to get accomplished BEFORE I go out to the shop. Someone else posted that they pick up ten things and put them away before they start working for that shop session. I have tried to start doing that and it helps me to stay organized better and it seem to help me get focused on one project. Notice I said help, it doesn't solve my problem, just gives me some direction. I am trying to stay focused on just two projects at once. That way while waiting for the glue to dry on one project, I can be working on another project, and it kind of keeps things interesting. I get bored really easily. Someone else said that they use a white board and keep a list on it to prioritize their efforts and stay on track. When I go out to the shop I can look and see what is at the top of the list and go from there. I think that I may try that one out.

I have also thought about storing other projects out of sight so I won't get distracted by seeing them. Out of sight, out of mind? I may work. :P

I hear you on the ADD and resemble it with one added problem. The "Excuse Syndrome", seems for every incomplete and pending project I have an excuse. Often works with the Mrs. to justify incidental purchases but not so often for the major equipment acquisitions. Prime example; I sold her on the safety virtues of the SawStop but now must wait until I can afford it. However that did justified my need for a recently purchased DeWalt TrackSaw. ;)

What tricks do y'all use to stay focused on the job at hand? Maybe you don't have the WW ADD like I do, and god bless you!!!

Well I take meds, but that's cause I actually have AD...hey squirrels! So my solution probably wouldn't work for you :). The other thing that works in my favour in that way is that my shop is pretty small so its difficult for me to have a lot of different projects going on at once. My biggest problem is small things, I enjoy getting old hand tools (planes, chisels etc.) and reconditioning them and a lot of the time those will languish, or I'll get distracted and start working on them when I have another project in finishing and waiting for it to dry.

Talk about ADD. Add, insecurity took me to "Avoidance Behaviour". I have a bunch of projects ... my office ... gates ... gift for my niece. The internet does not help either.

I am not only the president but ... I have ADD. My nagging wife tells me to take the meds and I don't.

What helps? accountability with friends.

I am looking for stuff all day, my keys, my phone ...

So much of my day is wasted looking for things.

Talk about ADD. Add, insecurity took me to "Avoidance Behaviour".

Oh man Bobby that one is huge. A few years ago I tackled a music box for my mother's 65th birthday, and doing so was way out of my comfort level. Curly maple and ebony where the most expensive wood I'd worked prior to that was probably poplar. Took me almost a year to complete the build (that should've taken about three days tops) out of fear of screwing it up.

I still have the Guild build shaker table, but I don't really count that. I tend to work on a few things at a time. Right now, I'm planning my Roubo, assembly/outfeed table, designing my next custom piece and finishing trim on the shop and house. Wow..I guess I have more going than I thought. Maybe I got the ADD, too :unsure:

I always do one project at a time but there have been 2 that I have yet to finish, first is a jewelry box that the veneer cracked on the curved top and I have not found (haven't looked to hard either!)the perfect piece of waterfall bubinga to replace it with, and second is a set of shelves-ran out of wood and got bored with it (it is a painted project my wife wanted,painted that about says it all!!). As for loosing intrest in a project during the boring parts-yep, that's when I start mentally planning out the next project and push through!!

Nate