Porter-Cable Stationary Table Saw

JamesT

I was hoping someone on these forums might have some first hand experience with Porter-Cable's 10" stationary table saw (PCB270TS). I'm trying to scrimp and save for a higher end table saw and I love the Porter-Cable brand.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on it.

Thanks -

James

i looked at three hybrid saws. the one you mention, craftsman's and ridgids new ts R4512 and chose that one because the fence moved smoothly, the on off switch was in a way better spot then the PC and it came with a lifetime service agreement which was a big plus for me. Ridgids TS has been a big improvement for me and it has not let me down yet.

Compared to the Skil TS that I've been using, the PC looked (and felt) so much better. I've been eye-balling the TS's at my local Woodcraft store but those are way out of my league. I'll see if I can find a local dealer for Rigid and go check them out.

Thanks Tyler.

If you have the room, why not look for a good cabinet table saw on craigslist? i found a Delta Unisaw with a Biesemeyer fence for $300. the Porter Cable stationary tools that you see at Lowes are a lot more Black & Decker than they are Delta, if you know what im saying. A good old cabinet saw was built to last forever and are nearly impossible to wear out.

James i had probably the same skill table saw or similar i had the 119 dollar small diy saw that was ok but i need bigger and better. As for a ridgid dealer just go to home depot thats who ridgid is with. i do agree that PC is a black and decker product with PC on it. I wanted to get a cab saw but since i am happy and content with my new one that cab can wait. I have my eye on the new unisaw or a powermatic when it comes time. I have read and spoke to a few people on using a hybrid saws for fine furniture and a lot actually still use contractor saws. My good friend who does a lot of local high end furniture in the city i currently live in has the ridgid granite top and he would rather have that then a cab saw. he likes being able to move his tools around and usually moves them and rearranges them on a monthly basis. His dust collection is a fixed system all piped through out his shop and is able to attach his dc to where ever he moves his tools but since he has a high hp dc system he rarely sees any decrease in air flow. I have a blast in his shop when i visit.

I am a little limited. I've got a shed that is 12' x 8'. As small as it is, it houses a full size workbench, table saw, stationary band saw and a lot of other equipment I move around based on my project. I appreciate the suggestion but something like that would simply be too large.

My impression of PC was that it was head and shoulders above Black & Decker. Am I really that far off? :-(

After going to Rigid's website, I was directed to Home Depot. There's one down the street from where I work so I'm going to take a look at the R4512 that you suggested Tyler.

porter cable owns black and decker and some others. the one thing about the Ridgid and craftsman version not to sure about PC never looked at theres but there is no stock zero clearance yet. Lee zero clearance is making one as we speak. the ridgid does not come with a wide throat plate for dado like the craftsman but i made mine out of 1/4 in mdf and just cut a nice wide grove around the entire outside of the plate and left about 1/8 all around it works great. Good luck on your decision

porter cable owns black and decker and some others. the one thing about the Ridgid and craftsman version not to sure about PC never looked at theres but there is no stock zero clearance yet. Lee zero clearance is making one as we speak. the ridgid does not come with a wide throat plate for dado like the craftsman but i made mine out of 1/4 in mdf and just cut a nice wide grove around the entire outside of the plate and left about 1/8 all around it works great. Good luck on your decision

The ownership structure goes like this:

Stanley owns Black & Decker. Black & Decker owns Porter-Cable, DeWalt & Delta. While Porter-Cable used to be a premium hand power tool brand 2nd to none, since being acquired by Black & Decker a few years ago (before B&D was bought by Stanley) B&D has decided that PC shouldn't compete with their beloved DeWalt. They have thus moved many of the PC products (such as the table saws) down marked and commoditized them. While they're still above B&D in quality, they are well below traditional Porter-Cable quality.

If you're looking for a great benchtop saw, the entire list is the Bosch 4100. It is fantastic. But, you can get a contractor's saw for less than the Bosch if you shop around. So if size is the issue, go Bosch. If dollars are the issue, go Craig's list. My previous table saw was a Jet Contractor saw with a 30 Beismeyer fence I got on CL for $275.00. If you willing to watch for a while you won't be disappointed with your Craig's List find. It'll certainly be your best value.

Good luck finding a saw.

I have eyed this saw up many times in Lowes.

I haven't used it or any top of the line table saws but I have spent a few hours fiddling with this saw and many others in lowes, home depot and woodcraft. The PC feels just right for it's price range.

I have googled as many reviews as I could find and have only seen one post where someone had anything bad to say about it at all. As with the rigid it is difficult finding a zero clearance apparently but that seems to be solved by Lee.

I do own a few PC tools. The newest PC purchase was their 18 volt cordless drill. This thing is a monster. My wrist actually hurts a little right now because of a spade bit binding while I wasn't paying attention. I work construction from time to time and my boss is a dewalt nut. I'd put the PC up against his 18v dewalts any day.

I have heard a lot of people mention that PC isn't what it used to be but looking around it looks like they are trying to make a surge in quality. They might be cheaper that dewalt but I honestly think that much of the price difference could be attributed to that yellow paint.

I've looked at the Delta & Jet models that Woodcraft has as well as the Grizzly saws and they are just out of my price range, not to mention my limited work space. I can appreciate the quality of the Bosch & DeWalt contractor style of saws but I only have one arm thanks to an auto accident a few years back and the hybid style saws have a larger cutting area which really helps.

I think the Rigid mentioned above and the PC are my two best front runners for what I need.

I've looked at the Delta & Jet models that Woodcraft has as well as the Grizzly saws and they are just out of my price range, not to mention my limited work space. I can appreciate the quality of the Bosch & DeWalt contractor style of saws but I only have one arm thanks to an auto accident a few years back and the hybid style saws have a larger cutting area which really helps.

I think the Rigid mentioned above and the PC are my two best front runners for what I need.

James,

for $599 (+ tax) the PC may be your best bet. If you can hold off a bit and scare up another $150 (+ shipping) I'd say it's worth checking out the Grizzly Polar Bear Hybrid saw It's no Powermatic or Sawstop, but it certaily appears to be a great deal and quite a bit more saw then the PC. You may also want to try Craig's List, as I've found many a great deal there (including my Jet Planer).

No matter which way you go, good luck with the new saw.