Festool jigsaw - barrel v D-handle

Grixxly

I have a very small shop and no room for a band saw, I don't do a lot of curved cuts so that never really bothered me. Now, however, the boss (A.K.A. Wife) has some projects for me that require curves. So, I've decided that I'll get a Festool jigsaw. But now I can't decide which model. The barrel model feels very good in my hands, but a guy at the shop where I do my purchases said he thought you can make tighter curve cuts with the D-handled version. Now, I don't know if that is bunk or not, but it made my go from 'Getting the barrel one' to 'What the hell do I want?'. Any advice?

I have a D-handle Bosch and have cut some pretty tight curves by switching to these narrower 20tpi blades for the cut. Like a bandsaw, the minimum radius you can cut has a lot to do with the width of the blade, which determines how tight you can turn before it binds in the cut. Unlike a bandsaw, you have to go pretty slow with a jig saw if you are making a tight turn and want to make sure that the blade doesn't bend and give you a cut that isn't square. I think the handle configuration has a lot to do with personal preference--you'll find people with both styles who say they are happy with them.

Rory

I have a very small shop and no room for a band saw, I don't do a lot of curved cuts so that never really bothered me. Now, however, the boss (A.K.A. Wife) has some projects for me that require curves. So, I've decided that I'll get a Festool jigsaw. But now I can't decide which model. The barrel model feels very good in my hands, but a guy at the shop where I do my purchases said he thought you can make tighter curve cuts with the D-handled version. Now, I don't know if that is bunk or not, but it made my go from 'Getting the barrel one' to 'What the hell do I want?'. Any advice?

It mainly comes down to personal preference. I have the barrel version of the jigsaw and like it. I also have a D handle Bosch that I no longer use. As far as cut radius, I think that would depend on your blade.

Thanks for the input everyone. I went to the store today and 'played' around with the D-handled one for some time and I've decided to wait until Monday when the barrel comes in. I just feel more comfortable with the barrel model in my hand. And actually that surprises me because when I first saw it I thought who would want that?

Anyway, thanks again for all the input.

I inquired about this exact thing years ago when I spent time at the Festool training center. The answer was that it pretty much comes down to comfort and preference, with one exception. In some specific situations, a user may want to operate the saw upside down under the work piece. We tried this with both models and it was much safer and much easier to control when using the barrel grip.