Saw Blade Damaged Tooth

Most sharpening services offer replacement for broken/damaged teeth since it is pretty common and it does not cost much at all. 

If you feel comfortable with the local sharpening service, have them do it or send it to Forrest. My local sharpening guy does a nice job so I wouldn't bother with shipping the blade back to Forrest in my situation.

Depending on the use of the blade, such as the ones I use on reclaimed lumber, I don't even have those teeth replaced. I know that after I use them a couple of months, they get so beat up they end up being tossed. I just keep having  them sharpened until I know they are done and then I add in the cost of new blades on another project. (Yes, I have a metal detector, but it is impossible to remove all nails and some break off under the surface.)

For my blades used on nicer work, I have them replaced. 

Several of my Freud blades have replaced teeth, their carbide seems to be particularly brittle. Even the sharpening guy has confirmed this, he says the carbide fractures sometimes during sharpening. I will be phasing out the Freud blades as they wear out because of this. 

12 minutes ago, toddclippinger said:

Several of my Freud blades have replaced teeth, their carbide seems to be particularly brittle. Even the sharpening guy has confirmed this, he says the carbide fractures sometimes during sharpening. I will be phasing out the Freud blades as they wear out because of this. 

Any freud blades in particular? I am on my way this morning to pick up my two new freud blades I ordered ! I ordered the fusion and the heavy rip. 

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Any freud blades in particular? I am on my way this morning to pick up my two new freud blades I ordered ! I ordered the fusion and the heavy rip. 

The Fusion blades, both thin kerf and full kerf have been the worse for chipping in my shop. The Glue Line Rip blades do not seem to have the same issue. 

I think this would be reasonable since the teeth on the Glue Line Rip blades don't come to such a fine tip that ends up having little support. But I notice that they still are more brittle than other blades I have. 

The Forrest blades do not seem as brittle nor do the CMT blades. I like the CMT General over the Freud Fusion and they come to the fine tip geometry like the Fusion. 

The Festool Blades are great. I have no problems with them at all. 

This has been my experience. 

8 minutes ago, toddclippinger said:

The Fusion blades, both thin kerf and full kerf have been the worse for chipping in my shop. The Glue Line Rip blades do not seem to have the same issue. 

I think this would be reasonable since the teeth on the Glue Line Rip blades don't come to such a fine tip that ends up having little support. But I notice that they still are more brittle than other blades I have. 

The Forrest blades do not seem as brittle nor do the CMT blades. I like the CMT General over the Freud Fusion and they come to the fine tip geometry like the Fusion. 

The Festool Blades are great. I have no problems with them at all. 

This has been my experience. 

Good to know. Thanks Todd. I guess I will use them untill they start cracking and then get something else. What festool blade are you talking about? They make blade with a standard arbor (5/8") for tablesaws ? The blade on my Kapex is great. 

34 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Good to know. Thanks Todd. I guess I will use them untill they start cracking and then get something else. What festool blade are you talking about? They make blade with a standard arbor (5/8") for tablesaws ? The blade on my Kapex is great. 

No, in my mind was considering all my blades for both table saw and miter saws. That is why the Kapex blades came up. 

59 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

With the Fusion blades, I will just keep repairing as needed and having them sharpened. When the life runs out of them, I just won't buy Fusion blades again. 

• Like 1