Saw Stop Alternate Blades

marsbar

Hi, I would like to use a 7 1/4 special thin kerf blade in my SS. Now I know that this would prevent the SS safety features/blade brake from working, but that is OK in this limited application. My problem is that when I turn on the saw (using the small initial power switch), there is an error code displayed that indicates the blade brake needs to be adjusted. This is probably because the blade is too far from the brake. I can not seem to override this error code. Does anyone know if this is possible? SS says no, but I would not be surprised if someone has figured out how to to do this. Thanks in advance.....Mark

I have a SawStop, but I have never tried a smaller blade. I can see where it might not work. To use the bypass option on the saw, all error conditions have to be cleared, before you can use the bypass. If your saw is showing an error after installing the new blade, you aren't suppose to able to use the bypass. It seems counterintuitive, but that's how I read the manual.

Mike

I was recently at a seminar at a Woodcraft where they have a SawStop in the shop. The instructor wanted to use a 1/16" thin-kerf blade, but it was only 7 1/4". They called SawStop tech support to ask how to make it work and they said you can't. That initial startup mode sends a pulse into the blade that the brake should pick up unless you have it too far away. Even with the 8" dado brake, you're too far away.

I agree that they should let you by-pass with such a blade. Sure, don't let the saw start in non-by-pass with such a blade, but don't be that restrictive. Maybe if there's enough market for it, they'll make a brake for those smaller diameter blades.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it just isn't possible to run the saw with a non 10" or 8" blade. Flairwoodworks had an interesting suggestion, but that didn't work either. Once the saw is started in the stand-by mode, touching the blade (to remove and swap it with the 7 1/4) sends the saw into an error immediately. You can not put the saw in bypass mode without first starting the saw in standby without errors. If only you could make the saw "think" the blade brake and blade were within the designed distance apart, that would seem to solve this situation. Thanks, and hopefully someone may figure a way to trick the saw.

Mark

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it just isn't possible to run the saw with a non 10" or 8" blade. Flairwoodworks had an interesting suggestion, but that didn't work either. Once the saw is started in the stand-by mode, touching the blade (to remove and swap it with the 7 1/4) sends the saw into an error immediately. You can not put the saw in bypass mode without first starting the saw in standby without errors. If only you could make the saw "think" the blade brake and blade were within the designed distance apart, that would seem to solve this situation. Thanks, and hopefully someone may figure a way to trick the saw.

Mark

I don't give up easily! What if you install the 7-1/4" blade on the arbor, put the arbor nut on, then slide the 10" blade over the arbor (so it's just sitting there). Then unlock the saw and get it past the test and into override. Then slide the 10" blade off. Maybe? Or else, tape/strap/bolt a piece of metal 1/8" from the sensor in the brake to fool it with only the 7-1/4" blade installed.

• 1 month later...

Excuse me if this info is already known to you:

You can adjust the distance of the brake from the blade, and, in fact, you must to do this when using a stacked dado using the corresponding brake for those blades. You adjust it using the large yellow hex screw:

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/Newsletters/NL_reviews/SawStop/DSCN6060.png

and this tool:

http://www.wwgoa.com/media/images/sawstop-4.jpg