A Neanderthal Christmas

jlloydparks

So I have a wonderful wife. She knows I have a thing for chisels. I think I own a set or at least a 1/2" chisel from just about all modern makers. However, there is one that I have desired for a long time and just never broke down and picked it up. She took my hints and ran with it. This lovely set of paring chisels were under the tree on Christmas day:

DSCN2727.JPG

Yes these are Dave Jeske's wonderful cocobolo handled Blue Spruce chisels. They are A2 steel, which is not my favorite, but I love his handles and the fineness of the bevels on his blades so I will get over sharpening this stuff.

My mother followed it up. Usually she just opts to get me a gift card to Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley. However, this year she shocked my socks off (which as always were in the stocking) and bought a Gransfor Swedish Carving axe. I make spoons and small bowls when I go camping and normally just work with my knives, but now I have an awesome axe to rough out my blanks.

DSCN2730.JPG

So how was your Neanderthal Christmas?

You lucky dog! I have a few of Dave Jeske's works of art. Hands down my favorite chisels and they get a lot of use. I need to get me one of those axes! No tools for me this year, lots of historical books and some instruction under my tree. I'll be heading back to the Acanthus Workshop to take a class with Matt Bickford on molding planes. I have a few dusty tomes on woodworking apprenticeships and some museum type books on colonial Boston furniture.

The class with Matt looked like fun when I was perusing the Acanthus Workshop site. I took a similar class with Don and Larry of Clark and Williams (now Old Street Tools).

By the way Shannon, I would love to hear what books you got (Feel free to PM me). I am always on the look out for new woodworking material. I have bookcase filled and am building another four shelf model for the rest.

My only book under the tree was Making a Refractor Telescope (I have many diverse hobbies). On clear nights I am outside and not in the shop staring at the stars.