Scroll Saw

sw1

I have a Delta scroll saw and I am thinking about getting rid of it. I purchased it about a year ago when I was first getting in to woodworking. I found it on craigs list and thought I had to have one. I have tried to use it a few times, and I hate it. It seems no matter how hard I try to keep it flat on the table it always wants to jump up. I have the hold down installed and I push down hard, but it still will yank the wood up. At this point the damn thing seems more dangerous than a table saw so it just collects dust. My question is what do you use them for and why do I keep having this issue. I am leaning towards just getting rid of it, since I haven't found a good use for it yet.

Thanks,

Shawn

I wonder if you might have the blade installed upside down, so it's trying to cut on the upstroke instead of the downstroke.

-- Russ

I have new blades installed and they are on the correct way. The blades I have are BORG specials vermont american brand. The have about 6 or 7 teeth at the bottom that do go the other way, and I think those are the problem. I wonder why the teeth do that?

I have a Delta sc as well and it isn't as smooth as I think it should be but nothing like yours sounds. If the blade is not in upside down the only thing I can think of it the the two arms are not co-planer. Just thinking here as I have never heard of this before but if the arms don't line up with each other when it cycles back up the blade isn't going to go into the saw kerf and causing it to catch making the stock jump. Just a thought, keep us posted.

Nate

I have a Delta sc as well and it isn't as smooth as I think it should be but nothing like yours sounds. If the blade is not in upside down the only thing I can think of it the the two arms are not co-planer. Just thinking here as I have never heard of this before but if the arms don't line up with each other when it cycles back up the blade isn't going to go into the saw kerf and causing it to catch making the stock jump. Just a thought, keep us posted.

Nate

I played with it again last night and I noticed the tension lever would slightly loosen up as I was using it. This would quickly bend the blade and ruin it, so the wood would really get jumpy after that. I will say this, even at low speeds with thin material it gets your attention in a hurry. This is a later model Delta 40-540 and may not be a great machine. I am still leaning toward selling it, because I hardly ever use it. I always hesitate to get rid of tools, thinking I may regret it later. Any ideas on what it might be worth? Or any ideas on why I should keep it?

Thanks for all the help, that sneaky lever really caused me some tense moments.

Shawn