Unplugged Project Next?

CamposMonster

Hello All,

I was wondering how all of you felt about wood working unplugged. Wood working with nothing more but a little muscle and a variety of beautiful hand tools. I reside in an urban area and don't have much space for power hungry plastics. Maybe if enough of us are interested in the unplugged version of wood working our fearless wood whisperer will add a hand tools only project to the mix.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

The current Guild build is the wall hanging cabinet and there's really no reason you couldn't do that with hand tools. Marc's challenge is to pick one single method of construction from the many options, so he can't show everything in one build. But I sometimes use different methods based on my skills and tools, so you could go all hand tools pretty easily.

Yeah this is most definitely a good candidate for it for sure.

But to answer your question, if enough people requested an all hand-tool project, I would certainly consider doing it. But if left to my own devices, I will always default to my hybrid style of woodworking (which I consider to be the most efficient). If you are truly hungry for the Neanderthal experience, you might even consider taking a look at Shannon Rogers' Hand Tool School. Maybe one of these days Shannon and I can collaborate, much like we did with Charles Neil. Only he can go all Neanderthal and I can do it Wood Whisperer Style.

• 3 months later...

But to answer your question, if enough people requested an all hand-tool project, I would certainly consider doing it. But if left to my own devices, I will always default to my hybrid style of woodworking (which I consider to be the most efficient). If you are truly hungry for the Neanderthal experience, you might even consider taking a look at Shannon Rogers' Hand Tool School. Maybe one of these days Shannon and I can collaborate, much like we did with Charles Neil. Only he can go all Neanderthal and I can do it Wood Whisperer Style.

In that case Marc, is there one tool that you'd highly recommend having available for the next build? Please don't say "a screwdriver" :). I'm very eager to participate this time. Unfortunately, my garage is still several tools short of what would be needed to call it a woodshop.

I would love to see a collaborative effort between you and Shannon, I am not a member of the guild but a member of the hand tool school and would like to see both builds.

In the context of the adirondack chair, I would say a bandsaw or jigsaw is going to be pretty important. Also, a router.

Definitely regretting my decision to pass on a used bandsaw that I almost bought just two weeks ago. Oh well. I do have a jigsaw and router though. There seems to be a lot of curves in the plans for this build. Would it be wise to also have a router table and oscillating spindle sander available? Unfortunately I have to piece together my shop on an as-needed basis.

I'll bet you could pull this off well with the jigsaw. An oscilating-spindle sander would be helpful to sand the result (and handy for patterns cut with a bandsaw or jigsaw). Get some of the clean-cut Bosch blades for it; they cut on the up and down strokes from opposite faces... no blow-out.

That's a crazy bandsaw. I'm very intimidated by that blade. Can you imagine what that blade sounds like when it snaps!!! Eeek. I'm really looking forward to the next guild build. I was wondering what species would lend itself best to the Adirondack chair build? Any thoughts on that yet?