Summer Build Chest on Chest

Mikejpt

This is my take on the Summer build. My daughter had been asking for a chest of drawer for some time. We had been discussing design etc when the summer build was announced but it was simply too hot in my non air conditioned shop. I was fortunate to have a nice stack of 40 plus year old cherry. As the weather cooled I also added a split system to my shop. The carcass is a rail and stile sides, fluted stiles, dadoed web frames, custom cut moulding for the top piece to serve as a transition for the top chest and poplar as the secondary wood. The finish schedule was 2 coats of Charles Neil blotch control, General Finishes Vintage Cherry Dye, 4 coats of GF Enduro semi-gloss varnish. These are all water based products. Very light sanding after the dye. I was afraid to cut through the dye. 220 between the varnish. The final coat was sanded to 8000. No dust nibs and slick as a baby bottom. The blotch control was fantastic. Any variations was from the wood color or my finish errors. The red color will eventually warm up as it ages. All the cherry was from my "old" stack except for the stiles. This was new 8/4 and looked really out of place with the already aged cherry. My daughter picked the dye. The feet were cut from 2" glue ups. The final deminsions are 70 inches tall, 19 inches deep, 37 inches wide. The drawers are roughly 33 inches. There are plenty of errors but overall, I was pleased with the final result. All the drawers slide easily and fit well. The joinery was with a drawer lock router. Don't know if that will be my choice next time. My gaps are not spot on but was the best I could do. Maybe next time (my daughter couldn't tell).The videos from the Guild were invaluable to guide a lot of the techniques I used. I constantly went back to them to review. It would have taken me much longer and a lot more "fixes" with the Guild's help. Thanks Marc.

Mike Jones

Jasper, Al

post-34-0-09880400-1293982256_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-61329900-1293982269_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-75030100-1293982286_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-53918600-1293982309_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-82094100-1293982315_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-58807900-1293982342_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-59434400-1293982360_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, that's pretty!

I love the color. It should only get more beautiful as it ages. Great job.

One question: that thing is almost 6 foot tall. Can your daughter reach the top drawers?

She can with the matching step. Haven't taken any pics yet. She is keeping "favorite things" in the top drawers. Thanks for the compliment.

Mike