red oak score

Brian Endres

24 minutes ago, mat60 said:

You didnt saw what it looked like.   My first welding job wasnt to pretty.

Who cares what it looks like. that truck  towed tractors and a gooseneck  and never saw pavement.  i knowit held because if it didn't and pops found out, my grandpa would have loaded imself to a plane just to come out to California and swiftly give me some size 12 justice 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

This made a chuckle. . when I was 16, I welded a cracked frame on my grandpa's old farm truck rather than tell him I cracked it trying to jump a square bale.  I had no training and had only seen someone weld. ..

Wouldn't you know that sob truck went another 10 years of hard work before the motor quit.

I'd bet my wife your weld didn't do any more than some hot glue would have done. You should have just used some Bondo, or JB Weld. Would've looked better. Vehicle frames take much less of a beating than you would think. Next time you're under a vehicle look at some of the manufacturers welds. Automobile frames have some of the worst welding in industry done on them. Not sure why it's that way, but it doesn't matter the make or model, all the frame welds suck.

50 minutes ago, Econdron said:

I'd bet my wife your weld didn't do any more than some hot glue would have done. You should have just used some Bondo, or JB Weld. Would've looked better. Vehicle frames take much less of a beating than you would think. Next time you're under a vehicle look at some of the manufacturers welds. Automobile frames have some of the worst welding in industry done on them. Not sure why it's that way, but it doesn't matter the make or model, all the frame welds suck.

Well you're entitled to your opinion; in this instance it happens to be wrong. The unibody on a little highway queen commuter car is not much more than a box from which everything else is attacked on but the frame of a truck deals with a lot of stress from weight and normal use.  add a 40 foot gooseneck with a few hundred 90 lb bales and tell me the only thing connecting the hitch to the power plant isn't dealing with a lot of stress.

6 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Well you're entitled to your opinion; in this instance it happens to be wrong. The unibody on a little highway queen commuter car is not much more than a box from which everything else is attacked on but the frame of a truck deals with a lot of stress from weight and normal use.  add a 40 foot gooseneck with a few hundred 90 lb bales and tell me the only thing connecting the hitch to the power plant isn't dealing with a lot of stress.

Could be, who knows. here I go jumping to conclusions again. I'd need to see a picture or something of the crack to make a good judgement. either way, I still don't think it's wise to weld something as a beginner where if your weld failed, someone could be killed.

Just now, Econdron said:

Could be, who knows. here I go jumping to conclusions again. I'd need to see a picture or something of the crack to make a good judgement. either way, I still don't think it's wise to weld something as a beginner where if your weld failed, someone could be killed.

Well we'er in perfect agreement there. . now talking to me 15  years ago scared for my life and there's a different story.