Which drill press clamps?

ScoFF

I'm going to buy a drill press clamp soon, which do you think would be more useful and secure?

This: http://www.busybeetools.com/products/VISE-CLAMP-11IN..html

Or this:

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/CLAMP-D%7B47%7DPRESS-HOLD-DOWN-4-3%7B47%7D4IN.-HT..html

I'm on my iPhone, sorry for the ugly links.

I'm going to suggest neither. I'd get a piece of MDF or plywood, and make a drill press table with some T-track in it, and get some toggle clamps that ride in the T track. You can also add a fence, and this combo will be a lot more useful than either one of the clamps by itself, and you will still be able to clamp boards to the table.

22810-08-500.jpg

A table is a must in my opinion and I would either do like Wilbur said or make a cam clamp like here A few years ago I had thought about getting one like the second link you posted but after thinking about it I was worried that the height of it would get in the way, just something to think about. What dp are you planning on getting? Enjoy

Nate

I have this drill press table already:

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DRILL-PRESS-TABLE.html but I don't have any clamps that go in the T-tracks.

I find the table itself doesn't hold too securely and can sometimes move a bit. The fence can move a little too if you put too much pressure on it I find the pieces can rock a little giving you some error. I'm not happy with the MDF solution, maybe it was my technique since you both seem happy. I was looking for a metal on metal product which doesn't budge. I do use the table but sometimes I need something more strong and sometimes I do with with metal and take the table off so I was wondering which one might be better.

I have a 16" General International drill press.

I too would suggest constructing an MDF or baltic birch table with t-track and toggle clamps. Facing both top and bottom surfaces with 150 grit sand paper helps to prevent any slippage. Be sure to secure the drill press table to the existing table with clamps preferably bottom mounted toggle clamps. Many designs are available for free - perform a WEB search on "drill press table"

Jeff

I made my own MDF table with a laminate top. I hated it. The MDF wasn't strong enough to hold the recessed track screws and the T-bolts eventually pulled screws out. The top was so heavy that the raise/lower gears were grinding and hard to crank. I gave up and went to the original table with a clamp like your first option and I'm a happy clamper now. :D