Morris chair bending form

Pwk5017

Marc to the rescue. First time I emailed the Guild support, and Marc actually responded. Kind of cool that he fields emails at this stage of the game. Turns out you need 8 pieces 7"x36" and 8 pieces 6.5"x36". You can get all 16 out of a single sheet of ply. Here is a CAD snip of it on a 4x8 sheet. 2" should be enough to accommodate 14 1/8" kerfs with some left for squaring/truing the sheet.

layout.JPG

• 1 year later...

Why cut square pieces for the tops and bottoms separately? Wouldn't you save material by cutting a larger rectangle and than cutting the curve in it?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b7eb044823a7cef12cc2b4264f90853b.jpg

The above shape is roughly 10" x 36" which would leave me some small strips of ply but i can use that for other things a bunch of scraps with curves in them are useless.

• Like 1

I think it would need to be a little larger then your measurement above Drew.  If I remember right because of the thickness of the lamination itself the two curves are a little different from each other.  That is why Marc actually glued the paper template to some material so he could trace top and bottom of the curve,

Aside from that which i accounted for in the 10" is there any reason to do 2 separate pieces and create all those odd shaped waste pieces? From the sketchup and the given dimensions the mold when placed together is 8.75" which on a 10" piece leaves 1.25" of space to work. Like you siad i probably need 1/8" for each side meaning i could cut the size from 10" to 9".

Drew you can do it your way but you will still end up with a bunch of odd scraps because you have to cut out both sides of the template, you can't cut just one curve through the 10 inch piece.  You have to cut the curve on each side of the template with the width of the template being waste.

Yeah the total distance different between an arc radius 121" and 122" over an arc length of 36" is all of .03" so I'll just add in the kerf of my bandsaw blade to the size of the ply. Not to beat a dead horse but if the only reason is the difference in arc radius there is no reason to make the top out of 8 separate pieces. I'll do 1 trail run to make sure that my math works out before i commit all the ply to being cut. I'll make sure to note this in my journal. Also it's interesting in the plans the radius for the upper and lower are are exactly the same.

• Like 1