Side Table

Isaac

How did you ever mold the actual branding end? Do you have metal working tools and such?

Kept it simple, just a block letter 'M' , and whittled it out of brass with a file and a Dremel.

I recently watched this video:

His brand is carved from steel, using the same technique. Steel will certainly work as well as brass, but to keep it from rusting, you should coat it in oil (cooking oil, or maybe linseed oil) and bake it in the oven at 500* for a while, to provide a protective coating, like the black on a cast-iron skillet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Kept it simple, just a block letter 'M' , and whittled it out of brass with a file and a Dremel.

I recently watched this video:

His brand is carved from steel, using the same technique. Steel will certainly work as well as brass, but to keep it from rusting, you should coat it in oil (cooking oil, or maybe linseed oil) and bake it in the oven at 500* for a while, to provide a protective coating, like the black on a cast-iron skillet.

very cool, though I'm not really set up to do something like that. If I do get one, this would be an area where I would probably pay someone.