My SketchUp CAN do THAT

PurpLev

OK, so it all started when I was trying to write a blog to post here as a tutorial for people starting out with SketchUp. halfway into the blog, I decided that a video would probably be easier for me, and easier for others. so I stopped the blog, and started capturing the video. Halfway through the capture I figured that I probably will need to go a little more basic and a bit more in detail in order to be more clear about certain things that I do - so I stopped the video.

Then it hit me - why not automate the whole thing with a plugin and call it a day. so I did.

I wrote this plugin last night, and cleaned it up a bit more today. It is available for free in the SketchUp Library right here, and future versions which will offer some extra customization will be available for purchase as part of the wudworx library of woodworking plugins for sketchup.

So, what does this plugin do? what does it look like? you can see it right here:

FYI- the latency in the video as the plugin is doing it's thing are caused by the capturing software and not the plugin itself which works instantaneously.

Peace ;)

For anyone that downloaded the plugin, and anyone that hasn't yet. I uploaded an upgraded version which (in my opinion) works much nicer and smoother. go to the download page, and get it!

If you already have a wudworx plugin installed, just copy (overwrite) wwxtool.rbs and wwxboardmaker.rbs into the Plugins/wudworx folder and copy the icons to Plugins/wudworx/icons. make sure the rest of the files stay intact though.

Let me know what you think :)

PurpLev: I downloaded the boardmaker plugin - it didn't go so well :( It shows up on the menu with an expansion arrow but the directory is empty. I have also now lost my dovetail plugin that I purchased from your company (I think). Any ideas. It appears that the files are in the appropriate places in the plugin directory The dovetail plugin was working until the install.

PurpLev: I downloaded the boardmaker plugin - it didn't go so well :( It shows up on the menu with an expansion arrow but the directory is empty. I have also now lost my dovetail plugin that I purchased from your company (I think). Any ideas. It appears that the files are in the appropriate places in the plugin directory The dovetail plugin was working until the install.

OUCH - my bad. I just updated my previous post. I guess I shouldn't have recommended extracting the entire file into Plugins. but only overwriting specific files:

wwxtool.rbs

wwxboardmaker.rbs

I contacted you in private to help you sort out the missing plugin. thanks for bringing this to my attention!

OUCH - my bad. I just updated my previous post. I guess I shouldn't have recommended extracting the entire file into Plugins. but only overwriting specific files:

wwxtool.rbs

wwxboardmaker.rbs

I contacted you in private to help you sort out the missing plugin. thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Thanks for all of your help .... everything is now working great. Thanks for sharing your talent and producing rb's. Bruce

PurpLev - I installed the Boardmaker plugin using your updated instructions - just replaced wwxtool.rbs and copied in wwxboardmaker.rbs to the plugins\wudworx subdirectory. I have both your dovetail and tenon plugins also previously installed. Although I can see the boardmaker preferences and boardmaker in the plugin dropdown menu it doesn't show up in the toolbar and also if I try an select it using the dropdown menu it doesn't bring up a preferences menu.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Ron

PurpLev - I installed the Boardmaker plugin using your updated instructions - just replaced wwxtool.rbs and copied in wwxboardmaker.rbs to the plugins\wudworx subdirectory. I have both your dovetail and tenon plugins also previously installed. Although I can see the boardmaker preferences and boardmaker in the plugin dropdown menu it doesn't show up in the toolbar and also if I try an select it using the dropdown menu it doesn't bring up a preferences menu.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Ron

DOPE! sorry - had some late nights recently and little sleep :blink: .

you should also copy over the files in the \wudworx\icons folder. since the plugin can't find the image for the toolbar - it doesn't load it into the toolbar.

As for the Board Maker Preferences - for now it is a non functional option, and will be saved for the paid version of the plugin sometime in the future (will allow you to change the auto-naming of components to current 'board' into other things for example).

you should also copy over the files in the \wudworx\icons folder. since the plugin can't find the image for the toolbar - it doesn't load it into the toolbar.

As for the Board Maker Preferences - for now it is a non functional option, and will be saved for the paid version of the plugin sometime in the future (will allow you to change the auto-naming of components to current 'board' into other things for example).

Thanks that fixed it.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

PurplLev: Is the mortise and tenon plugin also one that you wrote? If so where might it be available.

• 1 month later...

I installed this on Sketchup 8, and although it does function, clicking the Boardmaker Preferences does nothing, and the toolbar does not seem to be working correctly. I see the references here are to Sketchup 7, are there known problems with this plugin with SU8?

The Boardmaker Preferences doesn't do anything in Sketchup 7 either. I think further up in the forum its mentioned that it was put in there for a future upgrade.

Ron