coffee tree vs honey locust

phinds

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I sent an email to my supplier asking him to check with the logger he bought the log from.  I have seen both trees in person, and while similar, they are easy to distinguish.  It is perplexing to me that both Eric and I were sold honey locust but told it was something else. 

I agree it's odd, and I know zilch about trees but a good friend of mine knows a LOT about both wood and trees and he's checked all my facts about the differences and agrees w/ me AND I've checked the end grain characteristics on the North Carolina State University's wood anatomy site and it agrees as well. One the of the things my friend pointed out to me, that I have verified, but have not yet added to the comparison page is that coffee tree pith is typically about 1/4" across whereas honey locust pith is barely discernible. I've looked at all of the (few) pieces I have that have pith and they also agree. See if the logger can verify this.

And by the way, just so we're clear, I'll tell you what I always told my kids. The only thing I hate in the world more than being wrong is being wrong and thinking I'm right so when people show me I'm wrong in something I welcome the information.  SO ... I don't own any stock in this wood ID and if I have anything about the honey locust / coffee tree distinction wrong, I want to know about it.