Rookie at miters

Knox wood

Oooook so. My wife came to me with a brilliant idea of some small handmade bookshelves for our son and daughters room. Sketched it out and went to work. Well, I, after having binged watched The New Yankee Workshop on YouTube, decided that I totally knew how to , and could easily make these cuts. FALSE. I have beginner tools at best. So anyway, I have about a 8" tall back, and 3" x3 1/8 pieces coming out from the back panel. These I made 45° cuts on, and needed to match up one price the same height, and length but also cut 45°s..... I was either grossly over the mark, or far to short of 90°. I have since given up and am making another one with just flat and square pieces. But I was hoping to get some help as to how to accurately know/ measure a piece to match at length and make a right angle. I could post pictures later if helps but.. I'm already tired of making plain boring box shapes with no miters or angles. Please help teach me the ways!! Cheers!